Saiga 12 fails to eject after conversion

Hello everyone new user here and of course I need some help. I recently converted my Saiga 12 over to a pistol grip setup utililzing parts from CSS and Im now running into failure to eject issues. Prior to the conversion I shot 10 rounds through it to make sure that there was nothing that needed looking into before I converted it over and it cycled 10 rounds flawlessly.

After the conversion

using 2 3/4 00 buckshot

2, 5 or 2 different 10 round mags I could not get back to back rounds to cycle. When it did cycle the next round it would not fire. most of the time I get a wicked stove pipe. It appears to be put back together correctly. Its not exactly a ton of pieces but what I have noticed is that the hammer seems to drag on the bottom of the bolt. Almost to the point if i slowly pull the charging handle back it feels like it may actually stop the bolt. Also the gas setting does not matter if its on 1 or 2. it gives the same result.

This is the kit i used

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-807/Saiga-12-Conversion-Kit/Detail

as well as a chaos warthog brake.

Thanks for the help!

The bolt carrier may be dragging on the retaining plate, hammer, or both.

What retaining plate are you using?

Tapco hammers are higher then factory and benefit greatly from a re-profile, as well as the bolt carrier.

Edited by Jetmech

I have no issues with a full function check with the fire control group. Hammer drops can reset the hammer. has full range of motion. I do have issues reseating the bolt and piston after a field strip. It seems like it needs to be just perfect or else it will not ride on the rails. If I pull the charging handle back slowly it feels like it hangs up when the bolt head passes the hammer and then back again. Im not sure if I polish the hammer if it will make that much of a difference. I guess its a cheap part if i screw it up.

here you go this is the retaining plate doesnt look like its getting any drag.

photobucket-18142-1345930673987.jpg

there are no drag marks on the retaining plate.

now there is where the carrier is making contact with the hammer. seems very low to me

photobucket-19368-1345930829506.jpg

photobucket-10931-1345930793826.jpg

the action is far from smooth right now. I actually had a couple times where I would pull the charging handle all the way to the rear and it seemed like it was locked back. Which is impossible since there is no bolt hold in it anymore.

Round the angled edges off your hammer and try it again.

It is a little curious that the nose of your carrier had been hitting something from the looks of it.

Its hitting the hammer. I actually took a pic.of the bottom side od the carrier too

photobucket-30379-1345931438547.jpg

Definitely alot of contact there. Im just not familiar with this platform yet. It seems like way too much to me though

The bolt carrier may be dragging on the retaining plate, hammer, or both.

What retaining plate are you using?

Tapco hammers are higher then factory and benefit greatly from a re-profile, as well as the bolt carrier.

Is the reprofiling actually grinding the hammer or simply polishing for less friction? How do you know if you have removed too much?

reprofiling means literally changing the profile of the hammer and sometimes (if you know what your doing) the bolt carrier too. I recommend just polishing the hammer, the carrier the bolt and the rails as well as the extractor face. Please read the sticky notes in the tech section add this how to had been covered COUNTLESS times already. This is the cheapest and most simple fix for slightly under gassed guns.

I hit the hammer up today and vey minor underside of the bolt. I think thats going to fix my issue. I still need to do some fine touches on it but it makes a world of difference right now. im realizing there isnt much to fear when doing this stuff so ill hopefully be finishing it up and getting it back out shortly.

Just wanted to come back and say thank you to those that helped me with my issue. I finished polishing up my trigger and the bottom of the bolt carrier and that looks like It will fix my issue as all the resistance feels like its gone. Ill get it out on friday to chekc it out for sure.

well I no longer get failures to eject however the disconnect does not catch the trigger so it will not reset unless done manually. When it rains it pours. Ill be ordering a tromix one now. im not sure if it ever reset before i attempted to polish it or not so we shall see when the new trigger arrives.

Edited by Nathanb

yeah Ill get them later. I didnt touch the part of the hammer that makes contact with the disconnector though. just where the ridges were on the hammer. unless i knicked it and didnt realize it. I dont think I ever checked to see if the disconnector would engage before taking it out though so what happens is this.

pull and hold trigger. hammer drops.

manually reset hammer with trigger held and it just barely grazes the disconnector and hammer wont reset.

pics and a vid are uploading now.

Edited by Nathanb

See if the trigger is hitting the receiver when you pull it though full travel. Manually move it fore & aft to see if you can find the binding. I've recently had a couple of Tapcos make contact with the receiver which limited trigger movement.

You may want to to remove the FCG & reinstall it to see what the problem is.

Edited by Jetmech
  • Like 1

I think jetmech is on the right track. You need to pull that trigger out, and clean all that grinding dust outta your receiver. If that grit has worked its way inside your trigger axis sleeve, and axis pin it could be causing the drag your exepriencing. Pull all your FCG out and flush all the crap out with some oil, then see if your problem persist.