Russian Optics for the AKSU / AKS-74 "Krinkov"

Zeppelin3K of AR15.com reminded me I needed to update russianoptics.net with an article about what combloc type optics work for the AKSU. (Thanks, been on my to do list for a while beer.gif )

I created a new page for the site with most of the things I know work. http://russianoptics.net/aksu.html for more info

A quick run down:

NPSU/1PN34 and other cold war era night vision optics naturally

NSPU-1PN34_AKSU.JPG

Rakurs

AKSU_SVD_1P76_bake.JPG

Kashtan

1P78-Kashtan_AKSU.JPG

Kobra

Kobra_AKSU_SVDPad_GrenPad.JPG

Obzor

1P63Obzor_AKSU.JPG

PK-AS (not all versions)

PK-AS_AKSU_SVDPad.JPG

Side rails that DO NOT fit

AK_Siderails_BP02_NPZ_Molot_KV04-02.JPG

PK series: (PK01-Vi will fit, others will not)

PK01_Series.jpg

Basically the limiting factor is the rear sight of the AKSU which is much further back on the top cover and blocks many of the optics and rails from seating properly. The Bulgarian peep sight top cover sits further back than the standard AKSU top cover and may block most all optics. I haven't been able to test the M92 style krink with any optics and can't comment for sure.

Z

• Like 2

Prior to 1992ish most AK's and AKSU's were not fitted with a rail. AKS74N and AKS74UN rifles were the dedicated night vision models that carried a rail and have been in issued in limited numbers as far as back as the AK74 originally went into service. Before the AK74 the AKM was also issued with side rails in limited numbers even back to the early 1950's, I believe the first rail I've heard of was 1952. Basically the AK and it's modern cousins have had rails in limited quantities since the 50's but typically it was not standard issue on all rifles built.

After the AK74M was introduced in the early 90's the side rail was standard from the factory and has been for most 100 series AK's built since then. The AKSU may or may not have a side rail from the factory, it's not been produced nearly in the same numbers as the 74M and most are still probably issued without a rail if I had to guess.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 1