I need lathe work or a machine shop

Cutting a barrel below 18"(or 16" if a rifle) must be performed by a SOT licenced smith

Even removing it..and then cutting it is frowned upon. ( some say it's still an SBS) others say it's okay. But KNOWING you intend to build an SBS from the barrel..ehh it's not really something your gonna get any bites on, you'd be better off just moving the gas block yourself and paying a gunsmith to do the cut and rethread. Yes it's stupid, yes it sucks, but thats just how things go in the shitty world of craptacular ATF rules.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

Why would anyone do this when they can just spend a little more shop time making money on a full SBS build? After the barrel related work is done, there isn't much left to do to make the whole weapon a SBS. If I charge $1200 to build a SBS, what would I charge to move the gas block seat back, re-profile the barrel, cut the barrel, crown the barrel, thread the barrel, weld up old ports, and port the barrel at the new gas block seat? After all, it is the bulk of the work, right? What about the time it takes to ship the barrel? What about the time spent communicating with the customer? What about liability? Things break, mistakes can be made, and machinery fails.These barrels are not cheap. You are not overpaying. You are paying for the bulk of the shop time that it takes to build a short gas system SBS. Time is money, money is business, and business is business.....

Please understand, I am merely trying to offer a different perspective than what you can see from your side of the transaction and shed some light on why shops aren't breaking their necks to do this work for you. It has to be worth it to them. If it isn't, they will spend their time doing something that is.

I hope your project turns out nice. Post some pics and video too. I love this stuff!

This is my first SBS build....

post-22401-0-01540500-1347564466_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-18978200-1347564598_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-25768800-1347565712_thumb.jpg

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I get what your saying that every body has to eat also but so do I why spend that much money if it's not necessary and also I like doing things my self and that's pretty much the only thing I can't do and I'll post pics and video as soon as I have it up and running

I completely understand. Not having enough money to pay others is what has made me actually get good at some of this stuff. I'm just trying to give you a perspective on why people weren't breaking their necks to get the work, that's all. I'm a tight ass too, so I can certainly identify with your position ;)

Pics and video.... or it didn't happen ;)