VEPR 54R/308 Drop-In Trigger G2 Review w/pics..

I found out the 54R and 308 need some mods to make the hammer fit..

So I contacted Dinzag Arms for some assistance..

My factory trigger was gone for 6 days.. so he could use to make me up a TAPCO G2.

Heres what he sent back to me..

Factory on left.. Modified G2 on right.

triggers.jpg

Modified and slightly polished G2 on left.. factory on right.

triggersOUT.jpg

Modified G2 on bottom.. factory on top.. notice the nice machined notch in the hammer..

profile.jpg

He smoothed out the G2 on the surface and the release area..

polished.jpg

Literally a drop in.. I didn't have to modify my safety lever either..

Just make sure to install the lever with the hammer DOWN so that the lever can clear..

installed.jpg

He said he will be putting these already modified up on his VEPR page this week for straight sale..

So send him an email (from his contact page) and order with confidence..

http://www.dinzagarms.com/vepr/vepr.html

Breaks clean.. no grit... dry function check 100%..

I figured I could have done this myself.. but its an $800+ rifle.. a simple email about it got the ball rollin.

DInzag was one of the pioneers on here for trigger work/fixes so I deferred this job to him..

If I had tried to just dremel, it would have been a good few minutes and I may have overheated the hammer. so I figured let him do it.

As more people get the 308 or 54R flavors I could see where spending a few extra bucks over the factory G2 and going with DInzags would be a smarter choice... especially for a new person whom just wants plug-n-play..

I spent about 4 hours working on the factory trigger group of my new 20.5" vepr.

Even though the trigger is heavy, I set the release point to be just a bit different and managed to get rid of ALL of the grittyness in the trigger.

Every time the hammer falls it's quite an unexpected surprise, sort of like a finely tuned 1911 trigger. There is no over travel to speak of and there is not much pre-travel on the first stage now. I can't imagine going to a single stage trigger in this gun... The 2 stage trigger is absolutely amazing if you know exactly what to do to accomplish what I did. Work slowly, don't remove any metal as the factory dimensions are pretty well perfect.

Hell, I wouldn't change anything about the rifle, but I think having the barrel threaded and putting on a nice tabuk flash hider would be a nice way to protect the muzzle crown and add to the appearance of the gun. I've never held a rifle that fits my hands and LOP even remotely as well as this gun. The palm swells on the grip and forend feel like they were cut exactly perfect to my body.

It'd be nice if it could use double stack magazines, but I think if someone was creative enough to use the quad stack concept or a very small drum, it would make a perfect gun just that much better. But honestly since I'm so deeply in love with the gun the 5 round magazine does not bother me in the slightest. This seems to be one of the finest rifles on the US market currently short of custom built bolt guns. It really does put an M1A to shame in just about every single way. I think the people over at Molot all have OCD or something to get everything so "right."