Ok. Update!!!! I made up my mind. Especially with the price that Centerfire systems has. $599.00 for the vepr 308. i got the 21 inch barrel. the hunters and supers are at $899 right now. I can't believe i missed out on the $499.00 left hand stock ones.

Anyway after agonizing forever here's why i decided to go with the vepr.

One the obvious reinforced rereceiver and cold hammer forge barrel. already converted and if i want to ....there is a rereceiver mod that i can buy from carolinas shooters to change it from a slant receiver to square for about $40.00 bucks. I figured i will shoot it like it is and if i just have to go with stock configuration it would be pretty sinmple to switch it over.

Mags are and issue but with Csspecs mags, Unita and promag i figure i would be able to get a stash of viable mags with not much fuss.

I went with the stock thumb hole as i guess the more i shoot my converted saigas the more i appreciate the simple rugged practical design of the AK.

The super vepr and hunter seemed to add to much weight but........ those stocks and that fluted barrel Oh my!!!! Still i couldn't live with the added weight, push button safety, mag release in trigger guard and only a three hundred yard non windage adjustable rear sight. Others may see them as upgrades i see them as unnecessary and awkward. Oh yeah and the price!!! anyway to each his own.

finally, Again the recent price drop for a NIB vepr when the Saigas i have found are the same or higher and will require extra $100.00 or more to convert.....It seemed to be a message from the God's.

Well it should be here within the week. I can't wait.

thats my story and i am sticking to it!!!

There's a reason why redjacket firearms uses the 308 saiga's for platforms for doing builds. My first saiga was one of the first ones imported in 308win with a 16" barrel. After shooting it she spits out the 308 round accurately and cycles like no other 308 semi auto rifle i have to this day. Its my first ak/akm rifle.

Saiga, Saiga, Saiga, did i tell you i love my 6 saiga's??

Edited by Unknown Poster

There goes the prices on the saiga's. I'm glad i hung on to all of mine.

I had the same gutt feeling when i shot my very first saiga as i did when i shot my very first chinese norinco sks. I knew they wouldn't last for long. Then slick willy stopped the chinese import. Now the russians are going to stop making the saiga's.

Edited by Unknown Poster