Axis pin retaining plate (css) hitting carrier?!?

I'm new to this gun and was just finishing my conversion and ran into what I believe is a major problem.

It was a total PITA getting the CSS axis pin retaining plate installed to start with... found some tips on this forum which helped me get it in. It took some effort to get it over the "rail" the carrier slides on but I managed to finally do it....

Well I'm ready to install the bolt carrier and I can't get it to go on. I look and the top of the axis retaining plate is so close to the "rail" the carrier slides on there is no way the carrier is even going to go on without brute force of a hammer (and then it's not going to function properly).

I just don't get it... am I missing something here? The plate has to line up with the existing hole in the receiver in order for the safety to slide in... so I'd like to think I've installed it properly.

fmT8Z.jpg

If I have to take this gun totally apart again I may loose my mind... Or at the very least I will use the stock retaining spring.

Is that a generic AK plate instead of the S-12 plate?

You can probably just grind down the top part for clearance or call Greg at CSS on Monday to swap it if that's where you got it.

The S-12 plate looks like this:

post-16487-0-43050100-1353549536.jpg

Edited by Spartacus

Tolerances. It happens. Just pop out the plate while leaving everything but the safety in and file a bit off the top of the retaining plate so that the carrier doesn't hit it.

I did mine using a standard ak plate before they were selling s12 specific. I had to shift the notch at the bottom too. It's no big deal. 5 minutes with a file tops.

• Like 1

I just expected it to fit right up sad.png

Now I'm having problems figuring how how to get the gun apart with the retaining plate in place.... I can't just drive out the pins like I could before. I only have the 2 pins and no access to the other side of the safety. If I can get the darn thing apart again I'll be happy to modify the plate to work.

So I guess one thing is going well... the retaining plate is retaining the pins lol. So well I can't figure out how to get them out lol

Edited by justchil