Atlantic Egyptian AKM kit

So Atlantic got another run of Maadi kits in. I happen to pick one updrevil.gif It an 88' Blonde fixed stock kit. Thought I would share some pictures just in case anyone else was looking into getting one. I already have a Romainian barrel that will go in it. Ill probably just build it myself. Still no builds under my belt but I am going over Friday to build my Egyptian Khyber Pass which will be my first so wish me luck. Im pretty meticulous so I think it'll come out well. Post Pics when im done. So the kit came in covered in cosmoline??? a bunch of preservative that took around 30 min to wipe off. Kit was just about completely undamaged except one lil demil mark near the 1 in 1988 on the trunnion and the barrel pin is toast. Really happy with my kit. just need to hit up nodak or 74u....not surecool.png

post-24335-0-23287300-1361408329_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-79877300-1361408331_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-72634500-1361408336_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-39798200-1361408338_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-32524900-1361408340_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-52454800-1361410614_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-23856500-1361408344_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-73960300-1361408345_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-21527600-1361408335_thumb.jpg

Matching parts:

Bolt 8530

Carrier 8530

recoil spring 530

trunnion 8530

Non matching:

RSB, RSL, & gas tube #79

selector 172

dust cover 8534

Edited by AZG
Nice kit! What did it set you back? Ive been thinking about building one. I cant wait to pictures of your finished masterpiece.

Unfortunately just under $400+ romy barrel $110+ receiver either NDS-$85/$185-74u depending. Might build it myself to save $ and time but would really prefer to have two river arms do it so I can get selector markings. Not sure yet.

lol the dust cover is only 4 serials apart from the rest of the gun.. I bet it left the factory like that. someone on the assembly line was asleep.

it's nuts how quickly the prices go up on kits. just a year ago there was a huge influx of maadi kits around $90, they were considered "junk" kits.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1
lol the dust cover is only 4 serials apart from the rest of the gun.. I bet it left the factory like that. someone on the assembly line was asleep.

it's nuts how quickly the prices go up on kits. just a year ago there was a huge influx of maadi kits around $90, they were considered "junk" kits.

I know. I was like, "WHAT?, really? 4 # off" and chuckled a bit. kindof come to expect those things after a while. I see demil marks in the same spots, like on the safety. every time, same spot, its funny. and im not sure about my first two kits but this one and the last one which will be the khyber, had bent safeties. which this one and the last one were origionally fixed stock and both have Egyptian rear sight blocks and rear sight leafs and the other two were crutch folder imports and had Roman numerals on the rear sight block and leaf.

But yeah, my first two kits were $219 and the third I paid and extra $20 to get the egyptian marked kit, but was non matching and this one I also paid an extra to get the Egyptian marked rear sight block and leaf. Its matching too so Im really happy with it. Think ill wait it out and see if I can get another 74u receiver. That extra Y and I stamp just make me so much happier. I donno yet.

I could just get a nodak spud and build it myself, but its a nice kit and feel it deserves better, like to have a 74u receiver and send it off to TRArms to be built but they arent taking any work right now and dont know when they will at this point but what I would get back would be a correctly built and marked as close as possible to the original, straight shooting Maadi. what to do, what to do....

Wow, $90 for junk kits... crazy. wish I could have been there.

I got matching trunnion and BCG. Gas block and cover are matching but not to the BCG/trunnion. Mine has Egyptian marked gas block and trunnion, which at first threw me off trying to figure out the numbering. Looks to be marked 1988 as well. I'm trying to figure out what the best barrel and receiver to get on the cheap to make it still cheaper than getting a WASR haha

• Like 1

The Romanian AKM barrels are really the best deal. Cold hammer forged on new Steyr machinery, chrome-lined, and guaranteed to be made to true AKM specs. Yet for some reason they're the same price as US barrels, because either people still think Cugir makes crap AKs and parts, or because it's not a 922r part.

Personally I wouldn't really bother with the Egyptian markings on the receiver, but then again a Maadi is cooler with that feature if you're willing to spend the time/money on it.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Here is as far as we got on my Khyber Pass last night. all riveted up. cool.png pressing in the barrel next tuesday and not sure how much farther we'll get. probably get the front sight on and then ill take it out to test fire and make sure the sight is straight with POI, then ill drill and pin it. then sandblast. After that I was thinking of Blueing the whole thing....not sure. Either that or go with HK black duracoat....hmm.

post-24335-0-78557000-1361633649_thumb.jpgpost-24335-0-01100600-1361633651_thumb.jpg

Edited by AZG
  • Like 2

nice so far, how are you going to press the barrel and what work needs done to a romy barrel? , my egyptian kit along with my serb kit are still sitting there boxes. i got the American barrel though, don't know what's all involved with that. didn't really look it over, can't tell what year the egyptian kit is, it has 19 and looks like to upside triangles. post more pictures so i can get a bit more motivated.

nice so far, how are you going to press the barrel and what work needs done to a romy barrel? , my egyptian kit along with my serb kit are still sitting there boxes. i got the American barrel though, don't know what's all involved with that. didn't really look it over, can't tell what year the egyptian kit is, it has 19 and looks like to upside triangles. post more pictures so i can get a bit more motivated.
I forgot what the exact measurements were but I have to interference down to .003 and then use a 12 ton press to press the barrel in. Two upside down triangles sounds like 1977 but the other direction would be 88 which most of my kits are 88's.

Go here for number conversion: http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=106622

Cool. Wish I knew someone with the tools & jigs, but will probably be doing mine bolt cutter style, with the threaded rod barrel press.. I was actually surprised to find that a guy on Akfiles and Sksboards (AKBLUE) who does some amazing builds just uses the bolt cutter for all his rivets. His builds all look factory spec.

I mean you wouldn't think these are boltcutter rivets

pc081167.jpg

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1
Cool. Wish I knew someone with the tools & jigs, but will probably be doing mine bolt cutter style, with the threaded rod barrel press.. I was actually surprised to find that a guy on Akfiles and Sksboards (AKBLUE) who does some amazing builds just uses the bolt cutter for all his rivets. His builds all look factory spec.

Yeah, I know of him. That's what its all about, you can do anything if you know what you're doing. I've been wanting to get into building for a long time and found a guy that is teaching me. I've been using all his stuff. He doesn't pay me so anytime I get a kit or any work I need done, hes always willing to help me out and teach me what he knows. So, little by little Ill progress. I plan to get all my own stuff so I can do whatever myself and dont have to bug him if I need something done. Plus with the panic and flood of work to all the builders, you're lucky if you can get anything built so I figure its a good time to learn and Ive got a few kits to practice on. So far so good. Really I've heard of lots of people using bolt cutter style. Its the old ak style of build fu. hehe. Works just as well. I know of AKBULE from the akforum net. I believe hes been helpful to me a time or two. Glad he was able to help you out....if he did or if he's going to?.

Yeah I have been on the Survivors SKS boards since around 2005, have talked to him off and on since then. If I could find a build party I would go for it, but I really prefer to do all things myself.

Now what I really kick myself in the ass for is this. Around that time, 2005, I bought an SKS and wanted an AK. I had no idea about anything at all. I thought AKs were illegal, until I noticed that people were building them. I went and googled how to start building AKs, and saw parts kits available for like $50. I just thought, "wait, guns don't cost that little, this has to be fake." I then read on some more and realized how much work was involved - this was when flats were still the main way of getting a receiver. I chickened out. Now I wish I just bought a bunch of parts kits and stored them away.

Edited by mancat
Yeah I have been on the Survivors SKS boards since around 2005, have talked to him off and on since then. If I could find a build party I would go for it, but I really prefer to do all things myself.

Now what I really kick myself in the ass for is this. Around that time, 2005, I bought an SKS and wanted an AK. I had no idea about anything at all. I thought AKs were illegal, until I noticed that people were building them. I went and googled how to start building AKs, and saw parts kits available for like $50. I just thought, "wait, guns don't cost that little, this has to be fake." I then read on some more and realized how much work was involved - this was when flats were still the main way of getting a receiver. I chickened out. Now I wish I just bought a bunch of parts kits and stored them away.

dude, same here. I used to think AK's were illegal until I found this forum. Then it'all hit me like a ton of bricks. Unfortunately too late to capitalize on anything. The first AK platform I bought was my Saiga 12 back in 04/2010 which is when I joined this forum and Paid $830 for an unconverted Saiga. Lets just say I went back to that store a ripped that guy a new one for making $400 off of me. He did a good job as a salesman but completely lied to me as I asked for guidance or to show me the ropes of gun buying and he said they wouldn't do online transfers, but when I went back they did. So yeah, I was looking for help and the guy took advantage of me big time. But after coming here, ive learned. and am wise to all their BS tactics. Not to mention, I had previously bought a olymipc arms k3bm4 from them for $1450 when they sold for $900 online. But anyway, Good luck getting your kit built. Its always more worth it and self gratifying when you do it yourself.

AZG, I got a question for ya. When you build your kits, do you do anything specific to clean up the wood of the cosmo, or just leave it be? Mine came in caked in cosmo and I cleaned it up as best as I could but fear using any cleaner that could cause the laminate to seperate
I have just been wiping them down with paper towels. I haven't used any chemicals for fear of ruining the finish.

use mineral spirits on laminated wood

never use water to clean, or any water-based cleaners (simple green, purple power, etc). water will very easily cause laminate to crack and split.

shellac shouldn't come off with anything less than denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner, but I can't guarantee it. mineral spirits is the most mild solvent cleaner you could use.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2
use mineral spirits on laminated wood

never use water to clean, or any water-based cleaners (simple green, purple power, etc). water will very easily cause laminate to crack and split.

shellac shouldn't come off with anything less than denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner, but I can't guarantee it. mineral spirits is the most mild solvent cleaner you could use.

I was thinking mineral spirits but it was coming off easily enough just wiping it dry with no water or anything. I will probably go over it lightly with the mineral spirits to make sure. Otherwise, how it looks is fine to me.

what's up with the tape?

What? its my hand guard retainer retainerhaha.gif

No, Got kindof late and hadn't ground the relief for the handguard retainer lever notch. I think it looks very khyber to be honest. right out of the paki shop 021.gif

more or less just for a joke