Which SAIGA Do You Have for HD Use?

Hey all,

I don't own a Saiga 12, but I would like to. I know there are very popular and I can see why. They look awesome and they run and run and run.

One thing that I am not clear on is the magazines in a home defense situation where a LOT of stress is on you. It seems like those LONG mags are unwieldy and cumbersome, as does the drums. It looks like a standard pump or semi auto with a standard extended mag would be much more maneuverable and less likely to hang up on railing, furniture, corners or anything that you'd likely encounter at 3AM in the dark when you very well might be facing a life or death situation in a few seconds.

What are your thoughts? I am not criticizing you all or the weapon, I am merely wanting to learn more about it and it's use in a HD situation.

What magazines do you all use in the one that you keep for that purpose?

Of course pics are always encouraged..:)

Thanks for the info and help.

Nalajr

I'm not a big fan of the big mags for HD use. Those are for range use.

My go-to HD Saiga-12 has an 8" barrel and a factory 5-round magazine. No muzzle device, no optics - just iron sights and a thread protector. If I have a HD situation where more than five shotgun shells are required - that's going to be a pretty horrible day. Guess I'd have to drop the Saiga and transition to the Glock.

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of the big mags for HD use. Those are for range use.

My go-to HD Saiga-12 has an 8" barrel and a factory 5-round magazine. No muzzle device, no optics - just iron sights and a thread protector. If I have a HD situation where more than five shotgun shells are required - that's going to be a pretty horrible day. Guess I'd have to drop the Saiga and transition to the Glock.

I agree. Bulky, or long mags are not the best choice for HD use since you may need to maneuver in tight spaces, duck for cover, etc. You most likely won't be having a "standoff" either, where you would need that many rounds, and if in that situation, you damn well better choose a different platform with high capacity mags, since even a 20 round drum won't likely be enough.