Harris bipod

I replaced the factory sling swivel on my wood forend .308 with a Uncle Mike's sling swivel stud. I also reinforced the forend with a narrowed fender washer between the head of the sling swivel stud and the forend. Put the Harris on and it provides an extremely stable shooting position.

My question is there is some fore and aft "rocking" with the Harris's legs down in the prone position. Am I apt to break the forend when I use it? And....if it breaks, does anyone know where I can get a replacement? Thanks much. Don

I answered my probably not too astute question. The fender washer was the cause of the rocking. I replaced it with small washers to fill in the recess where the stud goes and to support the stud. The result is considerably more stable. I just hope that the stress of recoil on that thinner portion of the forend doesn't crack or break it.

Now if that works, I'd sure like RAAC to come up with more mags and even better, someone to give us good high capacity mags. Not that this is a unique thought at all.

In any event, Happy New Year to all forum users! Don

I used Acgraglass epoxy with black pigment to install the stud and the Harris bipod has no back and forth movement. I smeared a bit of epoxy on the inside of the foregrip to add to the internal surface holding area of the stud. If it breaks, (I don't think it will) I'll add more epoxy. I haven't shot it yet, but I think the bipod will be a great help in stability. No more looking for a log to help steady the rifle while firing. It also adds 1000% to the cool factor as far as looks go!

Allan Schisel

Thanks for the input Allan, I think I'll try your idea about the glassing in of the swivel area. I was amazed that the bipod seems to provide a more stable position than the concrete benches at my range, perhaps due to the fact that I have to hunch over to get low enough to use them. Don

On my wood forend, I used a plastic washer to fill the recess around the sling screw when I changed over to a QD stud. A 10/32 stud worked fine, just cut to length. Screw the stud in, count how many threads too long , and cut off one more thread than the count.

G O B