AK-102 Barrel Twist Rate

I'm looking to eventually turn my SLR-106CR into an AK-102 clone and I want to know if I can just chop the barrel or if the process will require something a little more involved. 

The twist rate on the 106 barrel is 1:7 and I'm wondering if it will still stabilize anything from 55-62gr if it gets cut from 16" to 12.5". My google-fu has failed me and I can't find the official rate of twist for AK-102's anywhere. 

tl;dr: Can I just chop the barrel or will it end up keyholing worse than a Red Jacket Krink?

The Bulgarian AK-102 style barrels use the same twist rate as their 16" bbl. I have read that Russia also uses the same rate regardless of length on the 5.56 barrels, except for Krink barrels, but Russia has phased out new production of the "Krink" in favor of the 12" short carbine models.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-102B.html

The gas port is the real question. I was looking into this for my 5.56 AK-74 build, because I also have considered going the AK-102 route. It seems that they use the same port size on both 16 and 12 bbls, so you may need to use a gas booster or 4-piece FH to get the gas pressure up without enlarging the gas port. YMMV it may work just fine with the barrel chopped, but personally I would run some sort of gas boosting muzzle device - you never know when you could have to cycle on a weak round, especially if shooting a lot of steel .223.

Edited by mancat

Thanks mancat, very helpful.

I was planning on using the typical 102 style gas booster for the authentic look, although I've seen some videos and the 4-piece flash hider is damn good at what it does.. In any case, there will be a gas boosting muzzle device installed.

The 4-piece device is the best combination of flash suppression and gas boosting effect. Plus you can tack weld an extended 4-piece from CNC Warrior and avoid the SBR issues, while still being able to disassemble the device and give the muzzle a proper cleaning. Not easy to do with a perm-attached bell booster.