Legion 030 Type Saiga 12 w/ Vepr 12 Mags

I posted a link below to Legion's offering of the 030 type Saiga 12 with the factory magwell.  I am thinking about purchasing one of these, but already have lots of cash tied up in Vepr 12 mags and don't want to buy a whole new set of mags.  My questions pertain to the similarities or dissimilarities between the two mags, magwells, and mag catch.  I read somewhere that the magwell specs and loactions are idenitcal betwwen the two models and that the mag catch was the only difference.  Can anyone confirm this?  If this is the case then I should be able to install a Vepr 12 mag catch on the Saiga and interchange mags.  Or vice versa.  I could put a Saiga 030 type mag catch on my Vepr 12 and run those style of mags on both guns.  I really don't care which, but want to run the same mags on both guns.  Even if that means selling my Vepr mags and buying all 030 type Saiga mags.  Any help is appreciated.

http://legionusainc.com/iz-433-saiga-12-030-type.html

I posted a link below to Legion's offering of the 030 type Saiga 12 with the factory magwell.  I am thinking about purchasing one of these, but already have lots of cash tied up in Vepr 12 mags and don't want to buy a whole new set of mags.  My questions pertain to the similarities or dissimilarities between the two mags, magwells, and mag catch.  I read somewhere that the magwell specs and loactions are idenitcal betwwen the two models and that the mag catch was the only difference.  Can anyone confirm this?  If this is the case then I should be able to install a Vepr 12 mag catch on the Saiga and interchange mags.  Or vice versa.  I could put a Saiga 030 type mag catch on my Vepr 12 and run those style of mags on both guns.  I really don't care which, but want to run the same mags on both guns.  Even if that means selling my Vepr mags and buying all 030 type Saiga mags.  Any help is appreciated.

Vepr factory mags can be modded to run well in an S12. However, you are probably better off selling your factory Vepr mas and buying Saiga factory mags, as the Saiga factory mags will run flawlessly in either Vepr or Saiga.

Saiga Version 30 with Vepr 12 mags:

http://lonestararms.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/V30_VLR_LH.330131724_large.jpg

http://lonestararms.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/V30_VLR_RH.330132246_large.jpg

http://lonestararms.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/V30_VLR_LH_3-4.330132625_large.jpg

Mike

• Like 1

Vepr factory mags can be modded to run well in an S12. However, you are probably better off selling your factory Vepr mas and buying Saiga factory mags, as the Saiga factory mags will run flawlessly in either Vepr or Saiga.

Saiga Version 30 with Vepr 12 mags:

Mike

Mike, your response is some what confusing to me, but maybe I am just having a dumbass moment. So you would recommend saiga 030 mags over vepr mags because the saiga 030 fit both shotguns without modification even though your pictures are showing vepr mags? Just clarifying. Lol.

Also, after seeing sunnybean's post I would think a mag catch swap/modification would be much simpler than modifying or selling 15-20 vepr 12 mags and/or buying all new mags. Or am I missing something? Thanks

OK. In a nutshell. Saiga Version 30 mags are superior - in either gun. Vepr 12 mags are not superior - in either gun. In fact, i'm suprised Vepr 12 shotguns and Vepr 12 mags are even made by the same manufacturer. Currently, the Saiga 12 Version 30 LRBHO mag is just a much better mag.

As far as fit is concerned, the depth of the rear lug is not the only issue. There is also a swell on the rear of the Vepr 12 mag which prevents it from being inserted into the (lengthwise) slightly shorter Saiga magwell.

We did the fitment, and massaged the Vepr mags a bit, and they work very well our Version 30. However, unless a customer absolutely has to have Vepr 12 mags in their Version 30, we probably won't mod any more this way. It is time consuming, and the Saiga mags run better in either platform (Saiga or Vepr), right out of the box.

My advice is sell your Vepr 12 mags, and buy the Saiga Version 30 mags for your Version 30.

Mike

Mike,

Not to be argumentative but I like the Molot mags better. I have have a few Izzy mags that, from the factory, had too short of a rear lug. No matter which gun I tried them in they were sloppy (up/down). All my Molot mags needed a slight (two or three strokes max) mod to the rear lug to to fit the 030 latch or JTE (basically the same). I would rather buy mags that are too tight and I can file to fit perfectly than buy mags that are modified at the factory and end up sloppy in my gun(s). As far as reliability and durability between the two brands, I have not found any difference. Our Russian friends on this site seem to prefer the Molot mags. Of course, they also run V12's. ymmv.

• Like 1

Mike,

Not to be argumentative but I like the Molot mags better. I have have a few Izzy mags that, from the factory, had too short of a rear lug. No matter which gun I tried them in they were sloppy (up/down). All my Molot mags needed a slight (two or three strokes max) mod to the rear lug to to fit the 030 latch or JTE (basically the same). I would rather buy mags that are too tight and I can file to fit perfectly than buy mags that are modified at the factory and end up sloppy in my gun(s). As far as reliability and durability between the two brands, I have not found any difference. Our Russian friends on this site seem to prefer the Molot mags. Of course, they also run V12's. ymmv.

Sunny,

A variety of opinions is what makes this forum work for its membership. We clearly have different points of view about the mags, and different approaches for dealing with the same issues.

At the end of the day, the consumer wins!

Mike

• Like 1