I am not sure why this is so hard to understand. I have a pistol AR. While the buffer tube "could" be used as a stock, no-one in their right mind would want to on a regular basis. The tube is too short for one thing but more importantly would hurt like hell each time you pulled the trigger. Thus it is a pistol even though there is something hanging off the back-end of the receiver that theoretically you could put against your shoulder.

No different with the SB47. While you "could" use it as a stock, no logical person would want to. It is too short and would not feel too good on the shoulder after you pulled the trigger a few times. While I hate to admit it, this is one time where the ATF statement makes perfect sense to me.

Now if you modified the buffer tube or SB47 brace to make it comfortable to use against the shoulder, then you just manufactured a stock. At that point your pistol becomes an SBR.    

You are wrong. BATFE does not regulate the length of a buffer tube

It's all about "intended use" and they have determined that the intended use of SB15 brace is for the user to wrap it around their forearm. If the user chooses to hold it a different way, the intended use does not change. It is still a pistol.

There are several opinion letters from BATFE saying that firing a pistol from the shoulder does not change the fact that its a pistol--putting a stock on it does.

???? Wrong about what? Where did I ever say that the BATF regulated the length of a buffer tube? Reading is fundamental nonono.gif  Unless you have arms like a little girl, I don't care what AR buffer length you have (standard carbine or short), it is going to be too short for good posture. I have seen folks try to shoot a pistol AR that way a couple of time. I got to laugh my ass off every time when the reaction was "Hmmm. Not going to do that again".

The funny thing is that I completely agree with your point about "intended use" and my post completely supports that logic. The "intended use" for an AR pistol buffer (or SB47 brace) is not to put it against your shoulder.deadhorse.gif  I have admittedly only used a stabilizing brace once and thought it was worthless. MUCH more stable shooting with a sling.  

I am not sure why this is so hard to understand. I have a pistol AR. While the buffer tube "could" be used as a stock, no-one in their right mind would want to on a regular basis. The tube is too short for one thing but more importantly would hurt like hell each time you pulled the trigger. Thus it is a pistol even though there is something hanging off the back-end of the receiver that theoretically you could put against your shoulder.

No different with the SB47. While you "could" use it as a stock, no logical person would want to. It is too short and would not feel too good on the shoulder after you pulled the trigger a few times. While I hate to admit it, this is one time where the ATF statement makes perfect sense to me.

Now if you modified the buffer tube or SB47 brace to make it comfortable to use against the shoulder, then you just manufactured a stock. At that point your pistol becomes an SBR.    

It's all about "intended use" and they have determined that the intended use of SB15 brace is for the user to wrap it around their forearm. If the user chooses to hold it a different way, the intended use does not change. It is still a pistol.

There are several opinion letters from BATFE saying that firing a pistol from the shoulder does not change the fact that its a pistol--putting a stock on it does.

???? Wrong about what? Where did I ever say that the BATF regulated the length of a buffer tube? Reading is fundamental nonono.gif  Unless you have arms like a little girl, I don't care what AR buffer length you have (standard carbine or short), it is going to be too short for good posture. I have seen folks try to shoot a pistol AR that way a couple of time. I got to laugh my ass off every time when the reaction was "Hmmm. Not going to do that again".

The funny thing is that I completely agree with your point about "intended use" and my post completely supports that logic. The "intended use" for an AR pistol buffer (or SB47 brace) is not to put it against your shoulder.deadhorse.gif  I have admittedly only used a stabilizing brace once and thought it was worthless. MUCH more stable shooting with a sling.  

Did you ever consider the people you watched just weren't any good? I'm 5'10 and I find it quiet comfortable. Used one on a M92, Ar57, 5.56, and an 9mm. Works wonderfully....except... sometimes, it'll pull a hair from my moustache cause it'll get a little gap at the stop on the buffer tube!

OH! And did you know they make an extra long buffer tube with a machined stop on it to make the exact same length as an M4 stock in position 2? HMMMM?

Did you ever consider the people you watched just weren't any good? I'm 5'10 and I find it quiet comfortable. Used one on a M92, Ar57, 5.56, and an 9mm. Works wonderfully....except... sometimes, it'll pull a hair from my moustache cause it'll get a little gap at the stop on the buffer tube!

OH! And did you know they make an extra long buffer tube with a machined stop on it to make the exact same length as an M4 stock in position 2? HMMMM?

Ta Da!  Here's my pistol I mentioned earlier with a machined stop pistol tube.

post-46383-0-92002600-1417782346_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ta Da!  Here's my pistol I mentioned earlier with a machined stop pistol tube.

No logical person would want to own/use that. Thereby I deduce you should sent it to this crazy bastard so I can exemplify just how crazy it is. bad_smile.gif

• Like 1