I bought a new Yugo (made in Zastava plant) in '88 and I loved it, it was like a street legal go-kart.

Mash the gas through all 4 gears and you still weren't speeding.   smile.png

It really was a fun car.

It was actually a Fiat design.... doesn't J-Lo sell Fiats now?    smile.png

(yes, I know that wasn't the original Yugo reference of the thread)

post-16487-0-83163800-1431739415_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

Shit like the Yugo car debacle was one of the reasons why their economy flatlined and Yugoslavia collapsed. Yugoslavia saw the coming failure of European communism and had began economic reforms to join the European economy. They positioned themselves to be a major manufacturing sector for Europe and the US, and they had pretty much bet their whole economic future on it. A number of US investors had put money into Yugoslavia expecting that it would happen, and the Yugos were tooling up to start building major factories for all sorts of products. Then all of a sudden we normalized economic relations with China, turned our backs on the investments we made into Yugoslavia, and the whole plan fell apart.

I work on some older US-built ships that have some basic automation electronics that were branded by Electrolux and made in Yugoslavia, oddly enough. The shit still works and has never been replaced.

Hate to sound racist/xenophobic but it really baffles me that the west decided to ally economically with a completely foreign culture. Yugoslavia may have been communist-lite but at least they were westerners with compatible values, and had no aspirations of world domination

The history of that era in Yugoslavia is pretty interesting reading.. They banked themselves on Europe and US welcoming them back to the capitalist sphere. Instead we abandoned them, and didn't even help them when they started shooting at each other, until it became too hard to ignore.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2

A buddy of mine kept telling me he was going to paint Yugoslavian flags on the front fenders

and tell everybody I was a Yugoslavian ambassador.

Then I told him he'd have to drive the staff car, while I ride in the back.

haha.gif

Edited by Spartacus