Had the 'lower range' (speed-rock distance & out to 200 yards) to myself today.  97 degrees, windy & so dry that a rattlesnake would need a canteen.

Someone had dragged the shooting bench (cable spool) back 10 yards, Must've wanted to shoot at 100 meters instead of yards. I was too encumbered with sandbags & such (and too hot & lazy) to drag it back.

Brought the M1 carbine (and a cleaning rod to knock out stuck steel cases. Oh yeah, I got a good deal on that Tula ammo)

IMG_0253_zpsc1d9pksp.jpg

Old-school AR. Total list of tacticool accessories, gadgets, bells & whistles: a sling.

IMG_0256_zpsydrqn7ai.jpg

M85 with the Ronin's Grips furniture installed.

IMG_0260_zpsjlca15ej.jpg

Tried out some Fiocchi ammo I got on sale from Midway.

IMG_0277_zpsrxquahmh.jpg

IMG_0279_zps8glabztd.jpg

100% reliable function in the AR. Accuracy was  nothing to write home about, but not too bad. 'Bout 2-1/2 inches c-c. Best I've done with that rifle was an RCH over 1-1/2" with handloads. Lower target spot (which I rather stupidly pasted before taking pic) is the Fiocchi, upper target is cheap Wallyworld Federal bulkpack, 'called flier' cutting 10 ring opens group to almost six inches. Oy, I need more practice or less coffee.

IMG_0271_zpsq9twm8va.jpg

As usual, the M85 eats whatever its fed with no complaints.  Accuracy was not as good as with the AR, but it'll do. Call it 3.5 MOA.

IMG_0272_zps1ba55p83.jpg

Advancing to 50 yards, I got in some standing unsupported  practice on bowling pins &  a couple of those 'rubber cube' type reactive targets. I prefer reactive targets to paper when possible.

All was going fine, with bouncing cubes & splintering bowling pins, until the AR began to choke on the bulkpack stuff.   A brief examination revealed that the action was as dry as a popcorn fart.  OK, I've heard a lot of this 'run 'em wet' talk for ARs. I've always been pretty stingy with the oil for fear of trapping grit, fouling, etc.  A couple drops of CLP in the exhaust ports, on the bolt head and into & on bolt carrier and we're back in business.

IMG_0273_zps2wnqtn4v.jpg

Pretty good day. Drank about 3 bottles of water (and shot 6), used enough sunblock, only a minor back twinge from picking up brass. I may have to get one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0MqEWW3L8c

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness (or backache avoidance) is the father.

• Like 1