I purchased one of the Saiga Scope Mounts from EAA, added a Tasco World Class 3x9 variable scope, but can't get that sucker to sight in.

After adding the scope, I tried to shoot at 25 and then move to 50 yards, but the da#@ thing will always shoot high and to the right, even when all possible horizontal and vertical settings on the scope have been tried.

It isn't just a little high, it is 3 feet high and right about 1 foot.

Did I get a bad scope or is there a trick to setting up the scope with the side-mount rail?

The Saiga is accurate, I was shooting clay pidgeons at 50 yards with open sights. The clay was idle, of course. I am not good enough to shoot them out of the air with a 7.62x39mm...although I tried to convince my son I could do that...

It sounds like its a malformed rail on the gun, or the part that mates to the rail of the gun on the scope mount itself to me. Ive seen a few posts about side rail mounts that people have had problems zeroing with. What kind of mount is it? maybe someone that has had the one you have will know if there is a solution to your problem. You might also try complaining to the company. They import the gun, and the mount you bought.

Guest Guest

A Dealer at a show last weekend in Det. told me that many have had problems with russian mounts and seperate optics. He could not validate this statement with any facts. He said it seems best to use a one piece mount like a POSP with AK types. Good luck!

Russian scopes have almost twice the amount of elevation/windage adjustment as scopes made for the American market. So the rail being mounted off some doesn't have as much effect as it does with non Russian scopes.

I have read on the AK-47.net about several members that had the problem of the rail not being mounted straight. They shimmed the mount. Here is a pic by one of the members. The 3/8" shim was added to get more height for the large objective bell of the scope to clear the rear sight. Adding the 3/8" shim required that longer bolts be used instead of the screws. A washer was added to the back screw as the rail was not mounted straight on the receiver and he ran out of elevation adjustment just like you.

966Saiga_scope_mount_shim_38_washer_.jpg

Edited by J A

If you look carefully at your scope mount you will see where the screws that would allow you to physically move parts of the mount by loosening them are secured by pins thru the mount frame.

What you have to do is remove these pins from the mount and before you adjust windage and elevation with the scope internal adjustments, bore sight the scope by physically moving it's parts. Secure the screws with locktite so they won't come loose then sight in normally.

• 1 month later...

Finally, I was able to test the washer-shim mod...and it worked great!

I only shot 1 box (20rnds) thru my saiga, but the last 7 shots were all on the center-line, but 1 1/2 inch to the left. I can adjust that out, but haven't yet.

i was excited to finally get the scope that close to the bullseye! When I first shot it without the shim, I was shooting about 2 feet high at 50yrds.

Oh, I was sighting it in at 50 yrds again, using Barnaul 125gr SP. In case anyoine was interested

Thanks to all for the assistance...Now I can trim the porcupine herds using a scope!!!

All I did was take a standard machine-screw washer that happened to fit the bracket's screw perfectly. It actually isn't very pretty, but I wanted to prove it would work like I expected. Of course, I did paint the washer black to hide it a little.

The washer I used is probably a lot thicker than it needs to be. I don't know the exact dimension, but I have a lot of scope adjustment left and there is a visible gap in the bracket.