online gun buying/ FFL holder liscense?

Guest FULL_AUTO_990

Guest FULL_AUTO_990

some one told me if you see a gun you want to buy on the internet for example $200 (in utah) and you live in ohio. that the site with the gun has to send it to one of your local gunshops and pick it up from their. and you also pay double the amount for the gun ($400). is this true?

cus there is a gun at Atlantic Firearms that i want to buy for like $500. will i have to pay double or just pay shipping and gun dealer handiling? cus i am not paying double the money for a f.uckin gun.

and what does F.F.l required mean? does that mean i cant have it cus its like full auto or something?

full_auto_990

FFL is liscenced gun dealer. For interstate mail (internet) sale is to FFL holder only.If you have a decent local dealer,it should only cost $35 or so, another $10 for handguns. Some dealers want to charge a percentage :haha: I refuse to deal with that type of greedy :zorro: . The paperwork they need to do is the same regardless of price of the weapon.

G O B

FFL = Federal Firearms license

That is for someone who deals in firearms as a business.

The law says a gun must be shipped to an FFL. Not sure about fed law, but at least in PA an FFL must be used to transfer a handgun.

The dealer is required by law to perform an instacheck by phone of the buyer for a clean record. The buyer must also fill out a form with personal info (name, address, place of birth, citizenship, etc) and furnish his drivers lisence.

There is about a $5 fee for this paperwork on a governmental level.

Now it costs the dealer a fee to have this license. He also can't just get this license unless he has a business. So that costs him money too. In fact, in some cases dealers have to pay overhead to have a business until the paperwork goes through, costing them $$$$.

That said, and given that you're not paying this dealer a markup on a gun in stock, it makes perfect sense that he'll charge you a fee for this.

Considering what they pay just to exist, and then that they have to eat and possibly even feed kids, and that sending them to school on that kind of money is a long shot, a $25 fee which is competitive around here is a bargain. Your local dealer may have higher overhead and have to charge more. Before you think his price is too high, remember how much it costs to drive elsewhere and shop around, then drive back to the first store. The difference is usually that small.

By the way FA990, how old are you? If you're under 18, you cannot buy any gun. Your parent may buy one and you may use it under their blessing and they are responsible for what happens.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

That's too bad man, in KY I know you must be 16 for pellet gun, 18 for rifle/shotgun, and 21 for handgun.

Do what I did, save your money, shoot whatever you can, and LEARN. When 21 comes around, buy buy buy. :lol: ...cause ask these other guys, when you get married, your extra cash isn't yours anymore!

Guest FULL_AUTO_990

ill try not to get married so i can have all kinds of toys like guns. race quads. race dirtbikes. crotchrocket, nice b.itchen truck or car, etc. and a shity house so ill have more money. what would suck thoe, if i was married and had all that s.hit, and had a divorce, and she took almost all of it and forced me in bankruptcy.

anyways i am going to give my dad the money for the gun, shipping, and F.F.L handiling. so i can go KA, KA ,KA F.UCKIN BANG, BANG BANG!!!! :killer::killer::killer::killer::killer::killer::killer::killer::killer::killer::killer::killer::killer::killer: :

Actually, you can get an FFL without having a business to deal in them. It's completely acceptable to have an FFL if you're a hobbyist, collector etc. In the way of collectors, it's easier to have an FFL than to have to make a trip to their local dealer every time they acquire a firearm. As for FA990, it's cool to see enthusiasm but dude, chill out a bit. There are two kinds of enthusiasts out there... the kind that give gun owners a good name and the kind that re-inforce the reason for gun control laws. Ask alot of questions and learn well but remember that in the end, we as gun owners are more closely scrutinized than even the common criminal. Since you're 16, I suggest taking a Hunter's Safety Course, particularly one taught by a police department or the DNR themselves. Even if you don't hunt, it teaches gun safety and etiquette... If you truly love firearms, don't give the anti's any additional reasons to ban them.

Hmm... the requirements must have changed since I last looked at them. In any case, it is true though that FFL holders do go through some extent of expense and inconvenience to have their FFL. I'd be willing to pay my favorite gunshop an extra $40 for their services. Granted, I'd like not to have to pay that... but oh well, the law is the law.

FA990, I think that much of my thoughts were summarized quite well in another post by Harzpad in this same area of the forum. Be careful bud... the anti's are constantly watching for whatever they can use against firearm owners. I have several firearms and I don't want the BATFE coming after them any time soon because of some stupid law that was passed. I'm sure you don't either. Caution and tact is the law here.