ok so i was looking at some more handguns and seen a Taurus 92af looks very similar to the beretta 92, is the Taurus a good gun it was about 100 less then the xd i was looking at, it was 419 i believe

Berettas are better, but Taurus is still a good gun. Walther and S&W are the same way. Walther's a bit better, but the S&W are totally decent. Just depends on what you would like to spend your money on...personally, I prefer paying for the better gun since my life could someday depend on it and I'd want 101% instead of 100%, but 100% is plenty.

I've had the Taurus 92 and 99 for over 10 years now, love them both.

I don't recall ever having a problem with either and their quite accurate.

The Taurus was made with Beretta machinery but with improved features like a decocking lever.

Check this site out for a little history http://www.taurususa.com/newsreviews/HG2004_000.cfm

Edited by Trailblazer
The Beretta 92 has a safety/decocker.

Correct. What the Taurus has that the Beretta doesn't have is a cocked and locked option. With the Beretta, if you engage the safety on a cocked hammer, it will decock the hammer. With the Taurus, you can engage the safety in such a way that the hammer stays cocked and ready.

Also, the safety on the Taurus is located on the frame while the Beretta's is on the frame. Theoretically, this leaves an open exposed area on the Taurus when the safety is off where dirt or debris can get in, but how many of us really go "into the field" dragging our gun with us?

The magazines are not interchangeable, though they are very similar. The shape of the body is the same, but the holes that engage the mags are in different places. Aside from that, they're pretty much the same. I personally think the Taurus is a great deal if you can't afford a Beretta.