So, I just picked up my new Bersa .380 semi-auto pistol. It's an Argentinian knock-off of the venerable Walther PPK/S pistol. Price after tax, $242.70 from my fav. dealer. A Walther would have cost over $400.

Thus far, I've found some neato things the Walther doesn't come with.

1. Mag release on the side of the grip near the handguard for quick detach

- the Walther PPK/S has the mag release on the bottom of the grip... a bit clumsier for mag release/change.

2. Slide release lever on the side of the pistol for bolt hold open on empty mag.

- the Walther PPK/S has no slide release. You reload it then have to manually rack the slide again to chamber.

3. Neato rubberized molded grips on the pistol. Fits my hand well and gives a good feeling of grip and stability.

- the Walther doesn't have that at all.

4. The Bersa weighs less than the Walther.

So, I took the time to rent a Walther PPK/S from the shop and took my newly acquired Bersa onto their range. I fired both and found the Bersa to have a tad more muzzle rise than the Walther but that's due to a lighter firearm. As for accuracy, the Bersa was in the black out to 20 yards. The Walther was too and I shot 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch groupings with both pistols. No difference really in accuracy. I've heard they were both accurate out to 35-40 yards but damned if I could shoot that far with a 3.5 inch barrelled pistol!

Over all, I'm quite happy with my purchase. Now, if we can get our damned state legislation changed to allow CCW, this would be one of my first choices. Granted, I'd still carry a .45 if I knew I was going into some really bad neighbourhoods or if I was carrying large sums of cash or valuables but hey, for every day carry, this thing would be great! Sadly, with a .380 acp, I'd probably have to empty a mag (7 rds) into a perp to stop him/her. Damned, I better order more mags! ;)

I'll have pics when and if I can either fix my digicam or get a new one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to my buddy's gun shop and looked at the bersa & walther side by side. I like the bersa. I've shot a walther before and there's no beaver tail to keep it from biting you. The Bersa was slightly larger, but the difference was negligible. The only thing I didn't like about the bersa was the cheap plastic grips, an easy fix. My friend said that there weren't noticible performance differences. I put it on my list of guns to buy. Right after the AK.

PPKS does indeed have a decocker. So does the bersa. I checked both.

Edited by LuthorBillis

The Bersa has a cheapo feeling plastic grip. The same company that makes the Bersa .380 also makes a Firestore .380. Same features with the exception of a nice molded rubber grip almost like one you'd get from Hogue. That's what I have... but it 'says Firestorm .380 on one side then it says Bersa on the other. Same price as the Bersa, lifetime replacement warranty and all. Honestly, I was wanting a PPK for a long time then I found this little thing and figured hell, I could drop $250 on the thing and if I didn't like it, I'd go trade it in for something else. Well, I've still got it and so far, I like it quite alot. I probably won't get a PPK but I sure will get another Bersa/Firestorm. Heh... then I'd have spent about the same money as I would have on a PPK... and gotten two pistols instead of one.