I've been thinking about getting a new AK, in the small but fast cals. I like the 5.45 because of the fact its a clearly russian cal. bullet. However ammo for the .223 would be more easy to get. The only problem I see however, besides just getting the basic .223 saiga is if I spend the money for a converted AK 101 etc, its gonna run almost $1K. 1K goes a long way towards any other .223 such as an HK SL8, AR, hell a Dragunov (7.62x54R darn good fun)........ I dunno.

any suggestions,

thanks guys.

I would think if the ban were renewed, the prices would go up. Anyone else think this way? Since we are on the subject of the X 39, I notice the supply has been drying up quickly on everything Saiga. Guns & magazines. Anyone else see this happening? Looking at a WASR or Mac90 in the near future.

verson: I am sure you have seen me say this before...stick to common chamberings.

stonyhat: yup, I would expect the prices to skyrocket on pre ban material when (notice i dont say IF) the ban is extended.

Alot of retailers (my employer included) are slowing down on purches of all but the constant top selling Clinton era rifles. They are waiting to see what happens with the law. My guess is GWB will sign an exec. order perpetuating the ban, but that only my jaded opinion as I can't remember any thing good ever coming from Washington in reguards to my liberty. Anyway, many dealers are worried that they may be stuck with a bunch of "post band, mucked up rifles" in a "no ban" market.

One more opinion. I would take the 5.45mm over the .223, I think its a better cartridge for diasbling deer sized game. Less muzzle blast and less reciol make target reaquissition faster. The bullet wt. twist, velocity combination is set up for optimal results in its designed role. Our .223 has been mucky mucked into a one size fits all round that does all things ok but does none great.

Then again that's just my opinion.