HI-CAP mag mod/help

Guest FULL_AUTO_994

I hope you're using US compliance parts there in your Saiga. If so, please post pics if you can, we all love to see how others do it.

Generally you install a feed ramp to guide the bullet into the chamber. Standard AKMs have these already. For me a piece of PVC pipe filed into shape and pressed into place has worked so far, but a metal pipe or an honest to goodness bullet guide from Kvar is better. You'll have to shape it accordingly. Try going to the Saiga conversion page frequently linked to. Or buy Messiah Jones's Saiga conversion CD.

That's a good question, but it would be the trunion, not the receiver that you drill and tap for a machine screw. As I said, I just shoved a properly formed PVC pipe section in there. Some have tried JB weld for metal to metal. Feedramps are an art more than a science at this point.

Place the 3/4" pipe underneath the barrel (trunion) fitted- after you've alredy cycled the bolt/gas piston. To make sure that nothing's in the way of the natural cycle, because if it goes too much to the right (looking down into the receiver), it'll get in the way.

just holds it with your fingers in place - and drill through the both of them with the tap size you want to use (I used a 4/40 with killer epoxy).

drill all the way through the trunion (but not throught the receiver, so be careful).

Then pull the peice of pipe out and drill a through hole big enough for the screw to fit, and top it off with a countersink bit so the screw fits flush - or else the bolt won't clear it!

Clean the trunion and place your favorite epoxy, j/b weld, or whatever - after you've tapped the trunion hole.

screw it in and let it dry!

easy - even you could handle it!

Edited by Siagalova

I just installed mine a few weeks ago and I didn't want to drill and tap mine either. What I did was use just some 2 ton epoxy and epoxied the feed ramp to the trunion under the chamber. I've only run 60 round through it so far, but I has worked just fine so far.

Hi all

I have a Chinese 7.62x39mm 5 round mag for the ak47 that i modded to fit my saiga , the bulgarian mags should need the same mod. i made a small piece of sheet metal cut to size that i welded into the cut out in the top front edge of the mag where it allows the bullets to pass and go up the feed ramp inside the gun , the saiga feed ramp is in the mag and so once welded in place it was a simple job to file a 45deg angle into the top edge to guide the bullet/case into the correct angle for feeding into the chamber , it was a quick and simple mod to do and works flawlessly for me after many rounds of use.

all the best

assassin

Edited by ASSASSIN

Before the feed ramp, I cut a coat hanger to fit in the lip - then slathered the whole thing with a temperature treated epoxy. I had to be careful not to block the natural path of the bullets while stuffed in the mag. The thing is, it's very violent inside the reciever and it took a couple of tries to get something solid enough to hold (besides welding). I think I even cut a little piece of metal and jammed it in the top space of the front catch to reinforce the forward action on the coat hanger peice. Again, slathering a good epoxy is the key.......threw it in the oven (at low temp) - that was that. It's actually less work to drill the hole.

That mag still works...I wish I had a digital camera! Some poeple have used a good adhesive only on the feed ramp. Be sure to clean the trunion and the feed ramp REALLY well and abraid both parts (scratch up a little).

It didn't work for me, but I don't think I actually degreased! give it a try, It won't hurt anything if it doesn't work, a misguided bullet will put a stop to the whole thing if it doesn't!

just be sure and cycle the bolt assembly before the glue dries!!!!!!!

I Totally agree!!! If you've ever used a drill in your life - YOU CAN DO THIS. The only thing is to make sure that you've got a good set of HARD drill bits, and some oil.

Beleive me I tried every alternative! They all were WAY harder. If you drill through both parts (with the tap sized drill bit), you don't even have to measure ANYTHING. Even easier if you use a starting punch.

I was thinking also, you may even be able to fit a nut under the trunion - you might want to check it out - but use glue on it. If I remember right, there is a little space on the bottom of the receiver - IF you're afraid of the tapping process. if you do use this process a carefully measured length for the screw applies.

Don't be yella! It's not like you're going to devalue a $200 gun!

I ran into a guy at the range that had a saiga and just ground down a high cap mag latch to fit, but had no clue why it always jammed. When explaining the whole feed ramp thing, he glazed over - poor guy!

nobody wants to be that guy.