Tromix/Saiga -- Essential spare parts?

It's an AK--they don't wear out. IMO you're more likely to have a problem with a magazine before anything else. I agree with BRG3, good to have a functioning "backup" just on general principles (yeeeah, that's why I HAD to buy another one, sure.)

Edited by tritium

So was it a stupid question? Because mainly I'm getting answers that are either stupid, or seem designed to make me feel stupid. Sure, any piece could break. Sure, having two would be nice, and insure that I always have at least one functioning, but that is not practical. Or, it ain't gonna break, 'cause its an indestructable AK!

Give me a break. It was a serious question. Is this not a forum for serious questions?

Now, maybe it wasn't a practical question? Convince me of that. But until you'all do, I'm sure that there is a "short list" of parts it would be practical to have in reserve.

There's no one part more prone to wear or fail more than any other. I'll stick with my original response of have spare mags--they get dented, cracked, feed lips bend. Please do not take any responses negatively or personally as it would be unintended I'm sure. They're a testimonial as to the reliability of the Saigas. There's no such thing as a stupid question, and there are many knowledgable and amiable folks on the forum that will be happy to asssist with any inquiries. Welcome and enjoy Tony's work.

I have yet to replace anything on ANY of my Saiga/ak rifles... Well, except for furniture... or muzzle devices... and then it was more like a little girl playing "dress up" and changing her dollies clothes, than because anything broke... I like to change out the furniture or muzzle devices now and then... gives the "ol' rifle" a whole new look... makes it feel like a brand NEW rifle all over again.

As far as parts breaking... Really not going to happen... unless you plan to run over it with a tank... or drop it while you are parachuting out of a plane... IT is an AK... It is virtually indestructable... really!

Let me ask you this...

What SCENARIO can YOU come up with... that you may think will get a piece to break? and if so... which piece?

I think the more you ponder this... the more you will realize nothing will go wrong, and you will be just fine! :up:

:smoke:

I didn't mean anything insulting, just light hearted.

An AK based weapon is unlikely to break any part on its own, if it does it's a manufacturing defect and could be anything. Or it's direct damage to the part involved.

I seriously have considered getting a second Steyr M40 because I love mine so much but replacement parts are near impossible to find, so I want to have one handy in case anything were to happen to mine, and I would be a lot more patient for replacement parts.

You're not going to need many, if any spare parts....but, if you really want to spend some money, I would get a spare extractor and extractor spring as well as a firing pin. Also, I have seen the retaining wire come off the hammer/trigger pins before. Normally, you could just reinstall it, but it's possible that it could get lost. Get one of those too.

Tony

You're not going to need many, if any spare parts....but, if you really want to spend some money, I would get a spare extractor and extractor spring as well as a firing pin. Also, I have seen the retaining wire come off the hammer/trigger pins before. Normally, you could just reinstall it, but it's possible that it could get lost. Get one of those too.

Tony

Okay, I've calmed down a bit. And on second reflection, maybe the idea of a complete second gun makes some sense. Would these key parts -- extractor, extractor sping, and firing pin, be interchangable with an untricked-out Saiga? I'm thinking so, and might well look into acquiring another Saiga for that purpose.

As for just these parts, are there any online sources for them?

And for the stupid question (but there are no stupid question), are these parts -- extractor, extractor spring, and firing pin -- interchangable with a Saiga in .308? Not being just a necked down .308, I'm guessing not, but I'm no gunsmith, so I don't know. But if they were, I'd get a .308 -- been wanting one anyway; any interchangability of parts would just be icing on the cake.

Extractor absolutely not. Completely different rim size. Extractor spring I dunno, but highly doubtful. Firing pin is the most likely but quite possibly no as well.

But getting a Saiga 308 has the remarkable advantage that if something goes wrong with your S-223 Tromix build, your S-308 will continue to work while you remedy the other one.

To your first question, yes these key parts would be the same between a Tromix converted S-223 and a stock S-223.

• 2 weeks later...