most accurate barrel

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a saiga 308, was thinking the 22" barrel would be more accurate, but have seen on here some remarks about better harmonics in the 16" barrel. Any opinions as the most accurate barrel?

I like the looks of the wood, any opinions if the synthetic might tend to fit better and increase accuracy?

thanks,

dan

Barrel length does affect accuracy. A shorter barrel will be stiffer and vibrate more evenly from shot to shot. However, a short barrel is not a guarantee of better accuracy. The muzzle crown has a huge effect on accuracy too - in needs to be even and free of burrs. The trigger is another big factor - a light crisp breaking trigger will do wonders for group size. Of course the chamber, barrel dimensions and condition all effect accuracy as well. Sorry if I'm giving too much information ;)

If you are going to be using the issue iron sights, the longer sight radius of the the 22" barrel will allow more precise sighting and result in smaller groups.

Personally, with the Saiga 308, I ignore the longer vs shorter barrel issue in terms of accuracy and focus more on application - short for a general battle rifle using iron sights or CQ type optics and long for more tactical use with a higher power scope and maybe a bipod.

The other difference between the two barrel lengths is the velocity they each impart to the bullet - longer is faster and shorter is slower. The difference between the two is 6", so the velocity difference is significant - like 150-200 fps depending on ammo. If you're looking to do longer range shooting, you will want higher velocity to shoot a little flatter. The longer barrel will give "standard"

velocity for the round which is important if you're using a scope that is regulated to the round's bullet drop as many tactical types are.

As to the wood vs poly, this is only an issue IMHO if you intend to keep it stock. From what I read, most prefer the wood for standard factory cofig. The poly is preferable if you're going to convert as its less expensive! :)

Edited by O.S.O.K.