With the addition of a bullet guide to the rifle, do the Galil Orlites work with no mods to the mag?

I have "dinzags" bullet guide installed and dremeled the ribs off the sides of the mags and they work just fine. It takes about 1 minute to remove the ribs so they will lock in the gun. They lock pretty tight just a little side to side slop but nothing to worry about. No changes to the mag had to be made for them to work with one of dinzags bullet guides. After that you should be ready to fire away.

I used 4 used mags from CDNN 35 round plastic galil orlites. :killer:

• 2 weeks later...

I got my orlites over the weekend and was able to do three mags last night. I do notice a little front to back wobble. I don't have a bullet guide installed yet, so I'm not sure how this may impact feeding. If there is a problem, I can always add a little JB weld to the bottom of the mag catch (appears to be metal) and file to fit. I can also confirm that the 12rd. steel mags lock in with no modifications.

I recently converted my .223 saiga with DinZag's ramp and orlites. Works great. I had to polish the base

of the chamber just a bit, but still didn't have to really throat it. If you're careful when you doctor the orlites, you won't have any play in them. Just go easy on the ribs, and test fit frequently. If they're a little tight, don't worry about it. They will "self-fit" to a point after you get them close. Only problem I'm had was that the mag springs in the new orlites were freak strong, and caused failures to go into battery. The next round in the mag was acting as a brake, and slowing the bolt\carrier down. However, with several hand cycles, and loading and unloading they are breaking in. By the way, big +1 for DinZag. Great ramps, and nice guy.

Thanks man, glad you are happy. My partner in crime and I shot about 1200 rounds yesterday - shotgun, pistol & rifle. We picked up an orlite mag to try out.

Sadly, I could not get it to work, while Craig's S-223 fed them in fine. (FMJ or HP) A few got caught (HP's), but if you slapped the bolt forward they went in. His gun is a Hesse with a useless welded in bullet guide. We had to build up the leading edge and grind it smooth before it would feed anything. Now his is ultra dependable.

The beveling on the face was about 1/16" shy from working on mine. They just dead-headed against the chamber. Looks to be the difference between our beveling jobs...

I wouldn't go deeper, but rather increase the outside radius to make the bevel larger. When I get it going good, I will get some pics up. :up:

I didn't bevel mine quite as deep as show in your FS thread, but I went lower toward the trunnion. I also used a green rubber polishing wheel, and worked it to a mirror shine. Until I did that, the rounds were just slamming into the bottom of the barrel and stopping. If you use the green polishing wheel, you'll have to clean it well. The residue gets everywhere, even in the chamber, and gunks up the action.

I'm still waiting on my pin retainers from redstar to test fire it. When I do I'll post the results. I'm hoping that firing it will cycle the action as hard as I sling-shot it by hand. If it cycles slowly, I still get the braking effect from the mag. As long as I really sling-shot the bolt carrier, I don't have any problems.

I had to bevel the area below the chamber to get my Saiga conversion to function with Orlite Galil mags. I just ground down a little with a Dremel then try to chamber a round. It didn't take a lot. I had Bill Alexander of Alexander Arms look and he said I was fine. He even fired the Saiga and was impressed.

chamber.jpg