What's the finish?

My new .223 came out of the box with the finish worn away in a few spots. Nothing major, but I might want to touch it up someday. Am I correct in thinking this is painted and not blued? It looks that way to me. And if so, does anybody have an idea of what kind of paint would work well?

Do a search on 'engine block paint' or 'barbecue grill paint' or 'heat resistant paint' as this has been discussed in the not too distant past and see what you can come up with. Welcome to the forum. :smoke:

Edited by tritium
Yes sir, welcome! I as well as others have had good success using Duplicolor Ceramic Engine Enamel - Low Gloss Black for touch-ups. $4/can at most auto parts stores - Napa, Advanced Auto, Autozone & Meijer.

+1 on that!

I have used the Low Gloss Black Duplicolor Ceramic Engine Enamel on parts that i have modified...gas tube, safety lever, trigger guard. Make sure you degrease real good (i use brake parts cleaner) spray it up, throw it in the oven (300) and in about 2 hours or so the finish will look superb. I cannot tell the difference in the factory paint on the rec. and the refinish on the safety lever. GOOD LUCK!

Make sure you degrease real good (i use brake parts cleaner) spray it up, throw it in the oven (300) and in about 2 hours or so the finish will look superb.

Do you take off the stock and forearm before you throw it in the oven? Or can they take that amount of heat?

Edited by tomi
I would say that an oven isn't 100% necessary. It's dry to touch within an hour and it's fully cured in about a week. It's pretty durable too. Just read the instructions on the can.

Maybe I could just put the gun in the car with the windows closed on a hot day. That should dry the paint pretty quick...

Thanks for the info, tritium, dinzag, and hoop762. This is a great forum.

I would say that an oven isn't 100% necessary. It's dry to touch within an hour and it's fully cured in about a week. It's pretty durable too. Just read the instructions on the can.

Maybe I could just put the gun in the car with the windows closed on a hot day. That should dry the paint pretty quick...

Thanks for the info, tritium, dinzag, and hoop762. This is a great forum.

Nah, set it out in the sun IMO. The stuff sets up almost immediately so no worries with bugs, etc...