Hello all! I'm new to the world of Saiga shotguns...I like the look and feel and I want to buy one. I'm going to have alot of questions, so I guess I'll just start witht he first one. I'm an avid handgun shooter, and I have fired plenty of shotguns in the past, but no one has ever explained to me the concept of "choke" It looks to me like it's use would be to keep the shot in a tighter group as it exits the barrel. If this is so, what do I do if I want to shoot slugs? Do I have to constantly change the choke, or is there a universal choke I can get?

Thanks in advance!

I think we have gone into this in other threads here, but in a nutshell, if you get a saiga with a full choke on it, you can still shoot hollow core slugs out of it fine. The choke is to tighen patterns downrange, of course, and modern slugs are designed to function normally through a choked gun. If you are a handgun hunter, then you do your shooting fairly close in anyway, so I would consider the shorter saiga barrel option. the choke on mine says it is full, but is more like a hair past cylinder. It depends what you hunt. If you hunt turkey, you will want a true full choke. If you hunt deer, just go with the 19" barrel and use slugs. You can also get the threaded barrel model and the choke set, and just change up for your needs at the time.