It's my hope that a general business link sticky can be created that can link to threads such as this for myself and other small and large vendors. In the meantime, here's a thread that will be a work in progress with updates on where things stand and any updates and hints for the future.

First, at the risk of tiring people with link after link, here are the two major links related to my Saiga and other gun furniture offerings.

This link is a FOR SALE listing of specific items I have ready to sell. Please keep posts on this thread to those items, ie if you have a question or would like to purchase.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=10165

This link is for general Custom Furniture discussion, questions, and pictures of past projects.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=9471

This link is to discussion of my modified G2 FCGs for unmodified Saigas. These are a drop-in replacement for your factory FCG.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=11158

This link is to the latest thread on my G3 mag adaptor project. Its status is on hold, but not abandoned.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=11156

A similar thread on Mini-14 mag adaptors for Saiga 223. Also on hold, but not abandoned.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=6925&hl=

I realize I'm doing a lot of cross linking with these threads, but many times I've been asked for links to threads and pics, and have ended up BTTing by request many times. Would much rather bump the threads only when there's something to add, either by myself or by others, and keep this one thread for general updates and FAQ.

FIRST UPDATE:

10-9-2006

I currently have six standing orders for custom work. There are several people who have gone as far as saying that they are about to send payment from whom I don't have any payment on record. If you have sent payment and received no acknowledgement, please PM and/or E-mail me. If you are still planning to pay but have had delays on your end, please let me know. If you have changed your plans, I would appreciate that info so I can plan accordingly.

Also as of this date I'm doing another order freeze, as I am hoping to wrap up all stanmding custom orders within the next month. I plan to start taking them again shortly thereafter, ie mid-late November, but I need to clear the road for some reorganization in early November. This is for the best of reasons, and when I start again things should be much smoother and faster. In the meantime I hope to offer some ready made items as time permits. On the aforementioned unpaid orders, if I get your payment in this week, I hope to be able to get your order done within the month, or if not, within the timeframe I estimated for you. I actually am willing to still take orders, but I would have to estimate a turnaround time of about New Years. (That said, if you wait till early December it may be after New Years that it gets done.)

I also plan to develop some new and exciting items for both experienced builders and plug-and-play fans.

• 2 weeks later...

One update on standards for my products - Due to a helpful bit of feedback and reading upon some S-12 issues, it has come to my attention that not all S-12s have the exact same length between handguard retaining screw and receiver. As a result, Saiga shotgun handguards from me will come without the hole drilled, the same way AK buttstocks come without screw holes when new. Drilling and inletting for the handguard retaining screw will be done only on request with the buyer providing the dimension to the precision I need. I can accomodate other screws/sling swivels just as easily. This will be an extra cost option.

Also, for a OAQ (occasionally asked question), all my AK grips are inletted for the grip screw and trigger guard of an AKM. They are not counterbored at the bottom for a washer because I have found not every AK grip screw to be of compatible length. Here again I will counterbore on request if the buyer will provide me the distance between the bottom of the hole (ie their grip/washer seating) and the receiver bottom. This is a NO COST option.

On finishing - I prefer to sell stocks unfinished so that the buyer can taylor his furniture as he pleases. Gives the most freedom to match other items and saves me the need for a major fume removal system (several stocks drying at once make a heck of a lot more fumes than one). I may finish with some reluctance if it is particularly necessary - one case where I would would be if you are on active duty with the armed services and don't have your own dwelling. In the future I plan to offer standard finishes on production items. Neither the finishes nor the items will be low end, and will be priced accordingly.

On grip ferrules - while my grips are designed to work without ferrules, I can adapt one to fit a buyer supplied ferrule at additional cost. Your grip will return with the ferrule.

On buttpads/plates - My base standard is a modified FAL buttplate, but I have gotten hold of a variety of sporting buttplates as well. These are included in the purchase price and are completely basic, no frills, and while I do try to clean them up they may be a wee bit rough in texture for it. For no additional cost I can shape to fit practically any buttplate you care to provide as long as it is <1.75" wide or you don't mind a little bit of oversize.

• 3 weeks later...

Schedule update:

I will be completely out of touch from roughly the middle of this week until the 20s of November. This will be due to being far away from the Internet in every way shape and form. There is nothing to worry about, as I will be quite ok and happy. I will just be 100% inaccessible.

ETA on new orders is Mid January. Those already placed will most likely be shipping throughout December.

Due to the current political winds, upon my return I will expedite all orders related to projects most likely to be targetted by production bans (as if they weren't all.)

This means P-grip stock sets for shotguns, US made FCG/Stock packages for allowing use of high cap mags, and will consider others on a case by case basis. For lack of a different suspect the prime culprit will be the now expired '94 AWB, which Bush has said he'd sign if it came to his desk, back when we were all sure it would never get there. If your concern is a state ban I'll need to know more about it.

This can include "blank" furniture that requires final shaping by the owner and would be an ergonomic nightmare as is, but at least it would lock your gun in a grandfatherable config at a lower cost and shorter lead time.

This can also include Yugo and Tantal furniture for home builds. I'm keeping this expediting policy to those models because it is the least likely to be abused, ie there are fewer non-home-built Yugos than AKMs.

If another ugly bill appears on the horizon, I'll adapt accordingly.

Hopefully this will include a CA AK development I'm working on, but that will all depend on physics.

Expediting in my case still means I can only do them as fast as I can reasonably, but I'll prioritize accordingly, and can also work with you on what details you want done vs time to get it to you and on your gun.

I'm not preaching doom and gloom at all, but I want to cover my bases while I know I can, and want to offer a policy to help like minded folks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Current status 1-29-07:

Nine standing orders, ranging from large to small, nearly done and just begun.

Current ETA on incoming orders would be late February or early March.

I can currently accept orders for the following items (others are too early in development or too sensitive to detail for me to accept payment at this point):

Saigas:

One piece wooden handguards for Saiga shotguns and rifles

Two piece wooden handguards for Saiga rifles with integrally retained no-gunsmithing lower (requires AK-74 gas tube for upper - Dinzag offers these ready to use)

QPG, classic, and upland style stocks for unconverted Saiga rifles and shotguns

G2 FCGs modified to fit unconverted Saigas, replacing 3/5 necessary compliance parts.

Complete furniture sets for stamped AKMs (P-grip and buttstock will fit converted Saiga)

Complete furniture sets for Yugo AKs

Customized furniture for AKs, including one-piece handguards

Any combination of any items from above.

Items pending development - please advise if any are of particular interest:

Sporting conversion for stamped AK/Saiga that would allow non-PG stock with standard AK trigger

Standardized pattern furniture for Romak III

Tantal furniture

Adjustable length and angle P-grip nuts and screws for AKM and converted Saiga

G3 mag adaptors for Saiga-308 (requires extensive modification of rifle)

Mini-14 mag adaptors for Saiga 223 (require no modification to rifle; fully removable)

Bullpup conversion for Saiga 223 using AR-15 mags (extensive modification required, with many practical advantages)

No-gunsmithing two piece AKM style handguards for Saiga-12 and 20 (will not offer if Jeric's handguard system is available first)

And more...

Edited by BattleRifleG3
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Current Status:

12 standing orders - that's a lot, and they include a couple big ones. ETA on new orders is 10-12 weeks. That's an estimate, not a promise. My promise is to be in touch and answer your questions.

Woods I have in stock for fresh orders:

Padauk - a strong and bright red colored wood

Bubinga - a purplish red, similar to lyptus but in better supply and hopefully less persnickety with machine tools

Honduran Mahogany - a recent favorite, uniform in grain and fairly easy to shape

Walnut - an American classic, a favorite of many; not a bad choice, but not my favorite

Hard maple - a lighter colored classic wood requiring more attention than some but resulting in a beautifully simple, wavy surface

Red oak - a simple standard with straight, bold lines that sometimes make it resemble laminate; relatively light weight and open grained

Phillipine Mahogany - a light weight low cost wood for simple furniture pieces - more experience coming soon

Purpleheart - a deep purple colored wood with good strength and nice texture

Spanish Cedar - a coffee colored conifer, smooth and consistent in grain

Teak - a popular gun stock wood in the old world, but more yellowish in color than the old oiled military teak furniture we see

Wenge - a dark, rough wood described as being similar to hickory

Jatoba - a strong brown wood often substituted for Teak but less expensive and less brittle

Cocobolo - the highest grade wood I've ever worked with, beautiful in color and sweet smelling, but sawdust is very irritating so maximum ventillation, respiratory protection, and care are required

Woods I don't have on hand but may be able to get if desired:

Birch

Sapele

Makore

Shedua

Hickory

Tiger Maple

Afromosia

Lacewood

Madura Rosewood (lighter in color and less expensive than Cocobolo)

Woods I used to be able to get and have a small supply of but am dedicating to complete sets already started:

Beech

Lyptus

African Mahogany

If you like any of these woods and can be open minded about furniture styles, they may be an option.

Guns I have made furniture for:

ALL Saiga rifles and shotguns available in the US, INCLUDING the Saiga-100 in 30-06 or 308.

4 piece AKM style sets with integral handguard retainer for Saiga rifles - requires gas tube to be replaced with one with upper handguard retainers

Romak III/PSL

G3/CETME Pistol Grips

4 piece sets for AKM, including a new Krinkov style lower handguard extended to AKM length

Handguards and P-grips for Yugo AKs - Buttstocks can be done with confidence, just haven't been yet

Furniture designs underway that can be accelerated if a person wants to order them:

Sporting thumbhole stock for unconverted Saigas - designed to keep the thumb over the level of the trigger, satisfying most legal criterias for a non-p-grip. Designed also to allow the hand to be closer to the trigger than any other current option, and to maximize comfort when using either the linked trigger of most Saigas or the extended trigger of the Saiga-308. A different version would used for the Saiga-100.

Simplified furniture for Saiga shotguns - For those who want something simple and functional, with less machining and rounder surfaces.

Lightening cuts for some styles of handguards and buttstocks

One piece handguards for stamped AK - ideal for use on an AMD

A little bit of what's going on:

I've recently picked up a pretty substantial and diverse supply of hardwood (see above).

I expect to learn a lot shortly and have some new recommendations for future stock orders.

I hope to offer furniture for the FAL and G3/CETME rifles in the near future. ARs are farther off, but are a possibility. Minis are a long shot, but nothing's impossible. I have roughly estimated costs for an SKS stock and can quote if anyone is interested. Mausers, Mosins, and 1917 Enfields are a possibility too

I've also begun an investment in a serious ventillation system that will allow me and possibly others to work more safely and with less downtime for cleaning and other debris related delays.

I have considered tooling up for advanced metalworking but at this point I do not believe I will be making major investments there in the immediate future. Things change and that might change too, but for now I'm sticking with the status quo. That means mag adaptors and rear trunions are still on the can-do list. Magazines maybe not, and certainly no barrel work, gas blocks, sites, optics mounts, trigger groups, or major load bearing parts. I can still do modified G2 FCGs and metal inserts for stocks.

TO ANYONE WITH PLASTIC MOULDING EQUIPMENT:

I am looking to outsource buttpads and buttplates. I am looking to have my own style with logo, hard and/or cushioned. Traditional yet distinctive. To date I have used take-off or customer provided buttplates and pads, and I want to be more self sufficient in that regard.

And I want to say a big THANK YOU to all the excellent customers I've dealt with, on this forum and on others. Your business has made a tremendous difference to me, and I hope that my efforts to give you something different have satisfied you. I look forward to continuing business with those of you who have further furniture needs, and to serving new customers in a way that benefits from the experience you have helped me to gain.

Edited by BattleRifleG3
  • 2 weeks later...

As of April 1st, time to respond to communications will be a bit longer due to spending more time working on stock sets for current orders, as well as religious holidays.

Your communications are most welcome, though your patience is requested.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

I'm currently doing a good bit of review of my operations, time, and expenses. Eventually I expect to make a "state of the union" type of post, but the gist of things is that I will be estimating turnaround times according to a projected schedule. I'm going to try to hold pricing as much as possible, but some items or options may go up. There's a possibility that I may tip the pricing balance more in favor of production items and charge more for custom orders than at present. Or possibly offer an option for a lower price at a longer lead time, which would allow me to make stocks in assembly line fashion.

Finally got it done. The Beta version of BattleRifle's Furniture Catalog.

Input is welcome. This isn't all inclusive and it doesn't have pricing. But it puts the options on the table without making you and I sort through old threads with pictures. Basically it gives us each something to refer to with specific names of items.

Again, this is just a beta version, so there will be room for improvement. The improved version might have part numbers and possibly even an order form. This one just has pictures and blabbering.

BattleRifleG3CatalogBETA.pdf

Current order count is 14, after completing two just today. Most of these are complete stock sets, but there are a couple individual items. Two of these are nearing completion.

Here's a quick "state of the union":

Explanations will come later, but current ETA is best described as September. Instead of predicting an average case scenario I'm going to list a worst case one. Another reason for this is that I spend far less time per set when I do several at once. So I will wait until I have several orders or a certain amount of time passes to commence. This is the only way to stay cost-effective. I won't actually be "waiting" - I'll be taking care of the previous batch.

If anyone does not want to wait that long, I expect to complete several ready made sets with a variety of different options included. The downside is you don't get to customize. The upside is that you don't have to wait. When the stock is listed, it's ready. This would be more desireable if people want to use my furniture to build something they may expect to have grandfathered and want to configure as soon as possible.

I will not be raising prices, but I will be offering certain higher end woods and options. So some of the ready made sets will be priced higher than before on account of those features.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally got it done. The Beta version of BattleRifle's Furniture Catalog.

Input is welcome. This isn't all inclusive and it doesn't have pricing. But it puts the options on the table without making you and I sort through old threads with pictures. Basically it gives us each something to refer to with specific names of items.

Again, this is just a beta version, so there will be room for improvement. The improved version might have part numbers and possibly even an order form. This one just has pictures and blabbering.

A very good start! Maybe a few touch-ups on some of the pics, but quite nice!

And, fabulous work, BRG3! If I do add a grip to my 223, I know where I'm going to purchase it! (and new buttstock, I guess!)

Bill

In case there was any confusion, I am currently taking orders again. Here's how it's working:

1. Current production run is scheduled for completion by the end of June. I'm not starting any more orders until then. Current orders will be completed and shipped between now and then.

2. The next production run is scheduled for completion by the end of September 2007. The cut-off date to have your order in for that run will be the end of June.

3. Romak III stocks, G3 mag adaptors, and other items that I've been holding off on due to the need to do them all at once, will have group buys announced when my schedule is more clear. There will be several stages of commitment (both on my end and yours) and payment which would be laid out in the initial thread.

Edit:

As of 5-3-07, three orders are in the mail.

Order count is 13.

Edited by BattleRifleG3
  • 2 weeks later...
In case there was any confusion, I am currently taking orders again. Here's how it's working:

1. Current production run is scheduled for completion by the end of June. I'm not starting any more orders until then. Current orders will be completed and shipped between now and then.

2. The next production run is scheduled for completion by the end of September 2007. The cut-off date to have your order in for that run will be the end of June.

3. Romak III stocks, G3 mag adaptors, and other items that I've been holding off on due to the need to do them all at once, will have group buys announced when my schedule is more clear. There will be several stages of commitment (both on my end and yours) and payment which would be laid out in the initial thread.

Edit:

As of 5-3-07, three orders are in the mail.

Order count is 13.

BattleRifleG3,hi ,ive been lurking for some time and just purchased a 308 saiga ,your wood work looks great,i would like a draganov style stock and veprov hand guard with vents made from african mahogany for a converted 308 .i need your address to send down payment.i havnt converted rifle yet but this will give me some time. thanks dwg1

Edited by dwg1
  • Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.