longtime lurker getting ready for 1st conversion

I have had a 7.62 x 39 saiga for a couple of years now and been lurking here ever since. Last weekend I picked up one in .223. The 7.62 has been great, the .223 POI is way off the POA out of the box but that can be corrected. I ordered parts from midwest for my first conversion this week. I ordered the Tapco set for the Saiga with collapsable stock, pistol grip, and handgaurd. I also ordered a double hook trigger. I have never done any work on a gun before but with all the info here plus having a second gun to look at I should be ok. My plan is to convert one of the guns, see how it goes, and see how I like the parts I used and then convert the second gun. I do have a couple of questions though.

First, is one gun easier to convert 1st? The .223 is one of the old EAA guns with their marking ground off the side and restamped by RAA. Both guns have the round front trunion if it matters( I will ask about bullet guides below)

2nd, is the double hook trigger correct or should I have gone with a single? From everything I read I don't think it matters but there must be some sort of difference???? I looked at my .223 and I think it has a single hook, I will check the 7.62 later.

3rd, anyone know if the tapco stock set comes with the pistol grip screw? I ordered a nut but didn't see the screw listed anywhere on the site.

4th, mag issues/bullet guides. I live in NY, from what I can tell the law reads no magazines greater than 10 rounds manufactured after some month in 1994. I do have 5 saiga mags for the x39 but just one for the .223. Are surplus/new mags dated? I like the 10 round mags for general use and wouldn't mind 20 rounds mags for both guns if there is a legal way to have them. I would guess most mags for sale are pre 94 but if they aren't stamped I am sure the burden of proof is on me....

Last thing for now, the member who is selling bullet guides, do they work with the stock mags? I could always add the bullet guides now and keep using factory saiga mags right?

Thanks, Mitch

I made an inquiry about the hi-cap preb ban mags as well. here is that post: Preban .223 Mags. To cut to the chase, East German mags should all be preban, both in bakelite and weiger steel, and there are other preban varieties out there as well. this guide is most helpfull in identifying magazines: Mag Recognition Guide. If you go to gun shows in your state, chances are good you can pick up AK-74 mags there, maybe even .223's. Robarms carries a follower to convert Ak74 mags to function with .223, .223 followers. I find gunshow prices and expectations to be pretty overinflated (I've seen 300+$ sks's that could be had for half that ammount); however in terms of locating mags its not a bad choice at all, provided you know what you are looking for and how much is reasonable to pay. I'd be happy to pay about 15$ for bakelites and arround 20$ for EG steel mags, preferably buying several to get some barganing leverage.

Bro I read what you just publish and you right on a way, but why go to all the trouble

and stuff, when doing galil and Bulgarians are so easy, well each there own I say.

Hey the 7.62x39 is the easies to convert to his natural state, the .223 have his nicks

and tricks, like heavier barrel and, that mean that Bulgarian GB and FSB

have to b ram to fit the .223 if you want to install one, now the 7.62x 39

no problemos, Bulgarian parts fit the barrel like a glove, may be some reaming

but not like the .223 at all, more like polish inside of GB and FSB to press fit

the parts.

Any way, must pistol grips will arrive with bolt but not nut at all, AK grips

come with nothing at all just the grip must of the time, have to get nut

and bolt separated.

Anything else I can help let me know.