Stamped Receivers

If anyone ever doubted the durability or hardiness of a stamped Saiga Receiver, I fully encourage you to try to drill a hole in one!!! I started my PG conversion on my new RAA 223 last night. I dulled three bits to the point of uselessness trying to drill the front hole of the triggerguard out. I also went through half a bottle of cutting fluid!! These boys are sturdy! Any recommendations on what type of drill bit to use? Also, once the hole or spot weld is drilled thru, what did you use to break loose the trigger guard.

i use either titanium coated or cobalt drill bits, lots of oil, and low speed. Keep at it and you'll get through. As for the spot weld, once you get through, gradually increase the size of bit and keep expanding the hole till it comes free

...or you can do what i did with my first conversion. i got impatient with the drilling and cut it out with my dremel. I dont recomend this as it is messy and can ruin the TG if you arent carefull...more of a last resort