Drum for the .308

i dont think a .308 round would even fit in the drum seeing as how the ak-47 fires 7.62x39 and 308 is 7.62x51.

edit... i just remembered... i had an old ak-47 30 rd mag in the garage a while back, and i was toying with the same idea, but it turned out that the 308 rounds didnt fit, so i know for sure that it wont work.

Edited by chips

HEY KYSOLDIER,

The remark about the belt went clear over my head. If my lingo is off you must excuse me. I have only found one extra magazine for my .308. I am new to the saiga and it seems to me that it is harder to find accessories for it. Unlike the m4 or the ak47 the saiga doesn't have the after market products. I haven't even found a stock that will fit correctly. How hard is it to convert the m14 mags

Is Krebs still doing conversions? I have heard conflicting things. I can see legal issues potential for converted mags, but not for converted guns.

It would be really nice if we had some more aftermarket support for our gun. Death of the AWB might make the business venture feasible for some enterpenureal spirit. I'd love to pick up some 20 round Saiga mags, or even some more 8 rounders at a reasonable price . .. . . seems like there are all kinds of aftermarket FAL and G3 magazines out there, can't be that hard to make some to fit our babies.

Squeaky wheel gets the juice though. . . gotta be tapping our dealers on the shoulder, writting manufacturers, all that jazz. "If they build it we will come" just doesn't secure capital right now. . . . we need to be saying "build it we'll buy it, build it or someone else will get our $$$s."

I should have added: a 75 round .308 drum would practically make the weapon unuseably heavy. I don't see more than 20 rounds in a package I'd want to haul in my weapon plus spares (weight in the field was a critical factor in the military going to the .223 regardless of our oppinion on that issue). What it boils down to is, I want a rifle that carries like a .223 and has the knock down of a .308 . .. . can't get the knock down of the .308 in the .223 so I have to limit what I am carrying to get the weight down (to the heavy side of .223). That said, I wouldn't even mind if they only made 12 or 15 round mags, so long as there are more options and maufacturers than the current EEA's way or no way 8 rounders.

Edited by Macx

xxxtoolxxx: Didn't mean to confuse you, I was pointing out that militaries around the world that use 308, like the M60, are belt fed guns...which is why there aren't any big 308 drums.

That said, converting the gun to except other mags is legal, though a bit difficult. Cutting up the mag, although easier, isn't legal if it no longer functions in the gun is was designed for....weird huh?

kysoldier,

i gotcha now when you said belt i thought you were trying to be funny but i know what you mean now. I just found a extra 8 rd mag and it cost me $40. It was the only one that I can find in the Dallas/Ft worth area. I live in the big city and it still hard to find a dealer that has it on thier shelf. I don't want convert the gun. I just want some larger mags. I love the .308 but I think I am going to keep stock . I'll find a another project

I just stumbled, on your site and I am glad I have. Just wanted to throw out there that the conversion of a Vepr to accept M-14 mags was easy enough that I did it in a hotel room on a whim after looking at Krebs website. It took a cordless drill, a dremmel tool, some JB weld and a 16d nail. What was a prototype whim has held for over 1000 rounds. I'll spell out details if anyone is interested.

The VEPR is a whole different animal to convert, since it is bigger in every dimension. Saiga 308s have a very innovative feeding system that can't be changed as easily and remain safe as the VEPR. My conversion is a whole new ballgame from anything else out there. I religiously avoid touching the trunion and push back towards the FCG. Will share pics as they become available.