Thoughts on Star PD .45

My dad has one that he carries from time to time. He has a CCL in California, if you can believe that.

After firing about 500 rounds or so, the aluminum feed ramp gets beat up enough that feeding is a problem. After polishing it out, it runs fine again. But like it was said before, I would not plan on running one for thousands of rounds.

Tony

That would really stink to have to polish up the feed ramp after 500 rounds.I have a Kahr PM9 that I use for CCW but wouldn't mind having a .45 in the same size,but at a cheaper price.$300 dollar range says it and the Star is kinda a classic to many....not hard on the eyes either...I wonder if others have had to polish the feed ramp after 500 rounds or so?I googled the gun and all I got about it was about the buffers are really hard to get but that you can modify 1911 ones for it.

OK,I just found this on a Google search of Star PD .45 buffers:

I am sure that I saw a posting on the Internet that described how to do this, but I can't find it. The message stated that there were two different types of recoil spring guide rods and then described how to replace the buffer on each.

It appears that on the PD I have, the rod has a head which unscrews, but the head is hard to grasp with pliers and I don't want to mar this piece, which is part of the exterior of the pistol. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Drakejake

Drakejake

January 26th, 2003, 05:04 PM

OK, I just removed the Star PD recoil spring guide rod buffer and unscrewed the end of the rod. I am finding that much of gunsmithing is easy to understand but hard to do, especially without damaging parts. This is certainly true of this process. The Star PD is simply a bad design, in that it requires owners to replace this part, especially since the buffer and other PD parts are now almost impossible to find. No one should get one of these pistols and put lots of rounds through it, unless he is willing to deal with the troublesome and shortlived plastic buffers. If anyone is interested in this, please send me a private message.

Drakejake

Anyone else have taken these apart?Any problems I would like to know of before I consider looking for one of these little guns.Thanks!

I have had two Star PDs (still have one). Both had the same problem: mag would pop out when the gun was fired. I sold one of these with a disclosure of the problem. I have kept the other one because it has a great trigger. I did a bubba fix by putting a small piece of plastic under the grip panel and over the opposite end of the mag release. This stops the latch from releasing from recoil but replacing the mag is awkward. Yes, I tried replacing the mag latch spring with a stronger one but never found anything that worked. If someone knows a fix for this problem, please let me know.

Monomonk

(also known as Drakejake)

Edited by monomonk