Need help with first purchase.

Hi. I'm another annoying newbie. I own several handguns, but have no experience with military style rifles.

I would like to buy a reliable and inexpensive HI Cap rifle for my arsenal in case the s..t hits the fan in this country. The Saiga 7.62x39 seems to fit the bill.

I've done some research, but it's still confusing. Besides 16 or 20" barrels, are all the stock Russian Saiga's the same? Are the original stocks comfortable to shoot? Do they have to be upgraded to perform better? And what upgrades do you recommend? Aesthetics are not important to me at this time, but performance is. Are some certification dates(what ever that means) better than others.

I'm calling some local shops today to see if I can find one to hold.

Thanks in advance.

The only difference between the 7.62x39 models is the barrel length. Some people argue that the cartridge was designed for a carbine-length barrel (16".) Stock comfort is a subjective thing but I don't think most folks find it uncomfortable. In order to use hi-cap mags you will have to do a pistol grip conversion to alter the rifle from a sporter model to assault configuration, per ATF 922r regs. Look in the Tech Section under the Guestbook part of the forum for lots of info on conversion. You can tweak performance when the trigger group is swapped out during conversion. The manufacture dates don't mean much except some of the more recent receivers have dimpled sides to stabilize the mag (and they look more military and kool) and think some newer ones have a hole drilled for a feed ramp. I may be forgetting some info but others will filll you in further. Welcome to the forum and good luck. You will enjoy your Saiga and probably get several more.

The only difference between the 7.62x39 models is the barrel length. Some people argue that the cartridge was designed for a carbine-length barrel (16".) Stock comfort is a subjective thing but I don't think most folks find it uncomfortable. In order to use hi-cap mags you will have to do a pistol grip conversion to alter the rifle from a sporter model to assault configuration, per ATF 922r regs. Look in the Tech Section under the Guestbook part of the forum for lots of info on conversion. You can tweak performance when the trigger group is swapped out during conversion. The manufacture dates don't mean much except some of the more recent receivers have dimpled sides to stabilize the mag (and they look more military and kool) and think some newer ones have a hole drilled for a feed ramp. I may be forgetting some info but others will filll you in further. Welcome to the forum and good luck. You will enjoy your Saiga and probably get several more.

Thanks for the quick & useful reply. The only reason I mentioned Cert. dates, I thought I read somewhere that the more recent took the 30rd mags.

Thanks for the quick & useful reply. The only reason I mentioned Cert. dates, I thought I read somewhere that the more recent took the 30rd mags.

I think some of them may but you can't use them legally without converting the firearm.

Well rumors abound, but nobody here has actually seen one and posted about it. There was one new poster that said he bought one that AK magazines "snapped right in", BUT it was a fluke because it still needed a bullet guide to feed.

I think a bunch of them accidentally came off the line with a "normal" magazine catch on them. They still need a bullet guide installed to feed properly without jamming.

Well rumors abound, but nobody here has actually seen one and posted about it. There was one new poster that said he bought one that AK magazines "snapped right in", BUT it was a fluke because it still needed a bullet guide to feed.

I think a bunch of them accidentally came off the line with a "normal" magazine catch on them. They still need a bullet guide installed to feed properly without jamming.

mine wouldnt take my pro-mag without modification but my yugo BHO mag snapped right in. but it did still need a bullet guide.