I am about to buy the basic/cheapest Saiga 7.62*39.

I am wanting to go w/ the aftermarket stock, by doing that, will I not be compliant to 922r just for that one / single change?

How many parts are on these guns out of the box that is US made??

Thanks

yes you will not be 922r compliant, and not many stocks will work unless you do the PG conversion

there are no us made parts on a saiga.

yes you will not be 922r compliant, and not many stocks will work unless you do the PG conversion

So, since I live in Texas, and if I own this gun, is it illegal to own or shoot at the range,since it is not 922r?

or maybe I dont understand the 922r :(

You can get US made buttstocks, handguards, trigger group (3 parts), pistol grip, gas piston, muzzle brake, magazines (up to 3 US parts.). In otherwords more than enough combinations to get you compliant.

There are no US parts in a Russian rifle as it comes out of the box. It has 13 or 14 (depends on your interpretation) of the official foreign "parts" from the ATF list as is new out of the box.

So, since I live in Texas, and if I own this gun, is it illegal to own or shoot at the range,since it is not 922r?

You can use it as is only if you use the low capacity magazine that comes with it, since that will keep the rifle in its imported "sporter" configuration.

it would be illegal to own, thought the ATF isnt busting down doors to bust people. its most likely what is usually reffered to as a "plea charge" basiclly a charge added onto other charges to get you to plea and not take the case to trial.

it would be illegal to own, thought the ATF isnt busting down doors to bust people. its most likely what is usually reffered to as a "plea charge" basiclly a charge added onto other charges to get you to plea and not take the case to trial.

Ok, so say I go and get the Saiga w/ the fold stock (by my local gun dealer). What all do I need to add to it, or which parts so that the ATF to go putting me in prison? :(

Ok, so say I go and get the Saiga w/ the fold stock (by my local gun dealer). What all do I need to add to it, or which parts so that the ATF to go putting me in prison? :(

Read post #4 above. You need to get down to ten or less foreign parts. You cannot swap out the trigger group without doing the pistol grip conversion. If you don't want to convert, choose from the remaining parts on that list in the aforementioned post.

You should start by telling that local gun dealer that he is an asshole for selling that stock with that rifle and not informing you about 922R. It is just downright irresponsible.

The Russians are able to import the Saiga because it has no "evil features" on it in this "sporter"configuration. Putting a folding stock on it or slapping a hi-cap mag in it constitutes "assembling an assault weapon" in the eyes of Uncle BATFuck and thus makes it an "illegal Imported Asault Weapon". Yes, the assault weapons ban is over, but not the import restrictions that happened before the AWB. The import restrictions are still in place, 922R states you can't have an Assault Weapon with more than 10 Foreign Parts.

A 7.62x39 Saiga has 14 (maybe even 15) countable foreign parts. If you change out the Russian sporter stock and put that Russian made folding stock on it, it now has an extra foreign part on it, since the ATF count that folding stock as 2 parts (1 stock and 1 pistol grip). Thus that stock makes it even harder to become 922R compliant.

That stock is for people that thumb their nose at 922R. If they are going to do that, hey, more power to them, they have my respect. But if you are going to try to comply with 922R, then that stock is useless. It takes you a step in the wrong direction.

Edited by Vermiform

You should start by telling that local gun dealer that he is an asshole for selling that stock with that rifle and not informing you about 922R. It is just downright irresponsible.

The Russians are able to import the Saiga because it has no "evil features" on it in this "sporter"configuration. Putting a folding stock on it or slapping a hi-cap mag in it constitutes "assembling an assault weapon" in the eyes of Uncle BATFuck and thus makes it an "illegal Imported Asault Weapon". Yes, the assault weapons ban is over, but not the import restrictions that happened before the AWB. The import restrictions are still in place, 922R states you can't have an Assault Weapon with more than 10 Foreign Parts.

A 7.62x39 Saiga has 14 (maybe even 15) countable foreign parts. If you change out the Russian sporter stock and put that Russian made folding stock on it, it now has an extra foreign part on it, since the ATF count that folding stock as 2 parts (1 stock and 1 pistol grip). Thus that stock makes it even harder to become 922R compliant.

That stock is for people that thumb their nose at 922R. If they are going to do that, hey, more power to them, they have my respect. But if you are going to try to comply with 922R, then that stock is useless. It takes you a step in the wrong direction.

I want to respect the 922r for sure. But damn... the OEM Saiga that is shipping as I type is on it's way from the texas distributor to my dealer. Selling it to me for 305.00 in my hand if anyone cares.

So, what may I do to it now to get it to 922r? What parts can I add to it? I don;t want to get busted for this.

******** If I was to cancel if its not to LATE and get the regular stock Saiga, it will still not be 922r compliant anyways , right?? lol

Thanks

Edited by TX_Shooter

I want to respect the 922r for sure. But damn... the OEM Saiga that is shipping as I type is on it's way from the texas distributor to my dealer. Selling it to me for 305.00 in my hand if anyone cares.

So, what may I do to it now to get it to 922r? What parts can I add to it? I don;t want to get busted for this.

******** If I was to cancel if its not to LATE and get the regular stock Saiga, it will still not be 922r compliant anyways , right?? lol

Thanks

Your going to start out compliant with whatever you buy. Anyone that sells that folding stock will not attach it to the rifle, they know better. They will sell you a standard stocked rifle and the folder seperately and let you switch them out.

This brings me to the next question. Why did the gunshop owner order a new Saiga if he already had one in stock. They don't come from the distributor like that.

Anyhow, the rifle is perfectly legal in it's original configuration. You only get into trouble when you put a folding stock on it or put a magazine in it greater than 10 rounds.