Im interested in picking up my first AR15, but Im a little confused as I am still learning about them. For example, I was looking at Bushmasters on Atlantic Firearms, and there is a huge array of rifles that pretty much all look the same or very similar. Can someone point me to a good internet resource where I can get enough info to tell them apart? Since I will only be able to afford one for a while, I want to get something I will be very happy with. Also I plan to put an EOtech and quad rail on it, I dont want to pay for extra accessories Ill just pull off later.

(edit: yeah I can compare descriptions, but sometimes is still dosent help)

Edited by frr

From the sounds of it you want a "tactical" setup AR15... in that aspect I cannot help you.

I have two...

both are setup as target/varmint guns.

My favorite has a 24" stainless, fluted barrel, adjustable stock, adjustable grip, flat top, 6-24X54MM Scope, bi-pod, etc..etc...

My second is just behind that with a 20" non-fluted stainless barrel... the rest being about the same...

No EO-techs... not my cup of tea for precision shooting at 200 plus yards...

No quad rails... I have no need for any add ons, they dont help me hit the target any better than the scope alone does.

No extra doo-higgeys. no need.

I shoot targets and varmints... both of mine are DPMS, they are very nice, fully functional, and I have ZERO complaints about either one.

If you want a competition rifle, or a tactical rifle... someone else will chime in here, pretty quick I am sure. :up:

As far as a regular rifle to shoot targets or varmints... tailor the rifle to your needs. That is why there are so many different configurations and options.

:smoke:

Get a Sig!!! More reliable than any AR, already assembled with most any goodie you could ever need!

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=13539

The main thing is to figure out what exactly you want your AR to do. If you want accuracy, look toward the longer and heavier barrels. If you want to keep it light and maneuverable, look to fluted or short barrels. If you want a jack of all trades, look at the 18" or 20" barrels.

Also question what you can afford now and what you'll later want. If you want a tricked out, free-floated barrel with railed handguards, it's cheapest to get it from the start or else you'll have buy it later at a higher cost.

Also, most of the differences on Atlantic's web-site are in the barrel length and the sights. A1, A2, etc. Some have detachable carry handles, some don't. Some have the front sight post, some don't. Etc. I'd also seriously consider DPMS. Best buy for the money IMHO.

Edited by AegisDei
AegisDei: the sig is a nice looking rifle, havent seen that before, I like it!

I love it, though I don't own one. Its adjustable gas system is awesome! The Sig is a great design but has been adapted to the American market and made in America. I doubt it will be as nice as the Sig 551 (available in the EU) but I would bet that it will still be the best 5.56 commercially available in this nation. FAL actually made a 5.56 and I believe a few were imported into the US, but they are so rare that they're worth a small fortune if they're ever for sale at all and thus I don't consider it commercially available. Bushmaster also makes a gas operated system, but it is much more expensive and wasn't developed from the ground up to be gas operated: it is more a piston that is well adapted to the AR platform and it costs more than the Sig.

There is something unique about the "sproinginess" of an AR and it's a neat gun to have simply because it's the civilian version of a military weaponry icon. But if I had it to do over again, I'd get a Sig for function and an AR just to have as a piece of history. I'll stake my life on my AK over my AR any day due to the AK's reliability, but I'll go for my AR for accuracy over my AK if I need to be precise. If I had the Sig I'd grab it and have the best of both worlds.

Though, truth be told, if I really felt the need I'd purchase a FAL or a PTR-91 for the best of all worlds. It has more stopping power than the AK or AR, is more accurate than the AK or AR, and is about as reliable as an AK. But they're a bit more expensive, there aren't nearly as many options, and ammo is much more expensive.

You'll be thrilled with whatever you get though. I LOVE my AR and I've gone 500rnds without cleaning, without a single mis-fire, and it outshoots me even from a bench.