yugo sks questions...

Guest Guest

Hey guys... I've been looking at those super-inexpensive yugo SKS rifles... I was wondering if the following US made parts would be enough to make it no longer considered a foreign import rifle; stock, magazine (body and follower), gas piston, forearm hand guard, operating rod... Of course the 'flare' launcher and bayonet lug would have to be removed... as well as the muzzle threading by either adding a non flash supressing muzzle break attached with welds or 100+ degree silver solder.

A preban, US made 30 round magazine even comes with it (never trust your local pawn shop owner for legal advice). Assuming those parts would make this rifle a non-import, would it then be legal to use the magazine provided? (I know they suck, but it's a free US made magazine good for 2 additional US parts on the 20 foreign parts list)...

Oh, also just to clarify, I'm worried about federal laws. My state has no relevant laws concerning magazine capacity, assault weapons, etc.

I know it's probably a great rifle as is, but I get as much of a kick working on a firearm as I do shooting it... so sue me.

Very good question.

You basically have two laws to worry about - The import law and the AWB. The AWB expires in September.

The import law says you basically can't do anything interesting to an imported gun. An imported gun has 11 or more of the following parts foreign made:

1. Barrel

2. Receiver

3. Barrel attachment - US available (DNA on non Yugo59/66)

4. Barrel extension - DNA

5. Piston - US available

6. Operating rod - US available

7. Trigger

8. Hammer

9. Disconnecter

10. Sear

11. Trigger guard

12. Bolt

13. Bolt carrier

14. Trunion - DNA

15. Buttstock - US available

16. Handguard - US available

17. Pistol grip - DNA (unless US made)

18. Mag floorplate - US available

19. Mag follower - US available

20. Mag body - US available

So you basically have 17 parts total, and 9 on the list with no US replacements.

Now you run into the AWB if you use a detachable mag, but that will be meaningless in less than 2 months. Remember you have a grenade launcher AND a bayonet lug. If you had only one of those, you'd be fine with a detachable mag. If you had a fixed mag, you'd be fine with both features, but it would still have to be US made. I have one. Try CDNNinvestments.com

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

Guest Guest

Certan things can be done to nullify the threaded muzzle and the bayonet lug... But basically what you're saying is that with the parts I've listed, it becomes a US makde Yugo SKS, which is legal to slap a preban US made 30 round hicap magazine on, and that you own one?

I think it's a waste of great features to remove the bayonet and muzzle threads. Just install a fixed USA mag that you can get from CDNN, replace Stock, handguard, piston, and Op Rod, and then wait for the ban to sunset. Then you can stick in your US made detachable mags and have all your formerly restricted features as long as you keep the parts count legal.

That's what I'd do too. You can shoot the 30rd mag in it if you want (discreetly as it is illegal), but I'd store it with the fixed mag.

I wouldn't want to grind off a bayonet lug those close to September....but then again, I don't have any on my rifles <_<

Guest Guest

Well, I fully plan on buying another one to keep bone stock. They are only like $95 at this pawn shop near here, and you even get to hand pick the one you want. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

and you even get to hand pick the one you want. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

just a little advice... never buy a gun if you cant look it over, and make sure its in good condition. it would be stupid to not allow a customer to pick out which gun they want to buy.

Guest Guest

I just thought I'd let you guys know... I got my letter back from the ATF yestarday, and sure enough, Yugos with all the US parts I listed above are perfectly legal per 922r, and can be made legal per the AWB.

Guest Guest

Whoa... before you do that, I just caught a MAJOR typo in my original post. The non-flash supressing muzzle break has to be welded with 4 evenly spaced tacks or 1100 silver solder, not 100 degree silver solder (no such thing). You can also just shave off the threads or have the barrel re-crowned.

• 3 months later...

Hey everybody, I am reading this post and doing some research because I wanted to do a project upgrade to a junky old sks, but wanted to make sure that my actions were legal before I started.

I have a junky old Romanian SKS. Basically all of the parts look pretty good, but I will be doing some replacements and upgrades. The wooden stock is crap. I have always found that rifles with pistol-grips were more comfortable for me, so I was thinking of replacing the stock with one of those Advance Technologies folding stocks (now that the AW ban is over). I was also going to set it up to use removable magazines.

Anyway, I am concerned about how much I can do considering 922r. I have read that you need no more than 10 foreign parts. For now, I am assuming that all of my parts currently are foreign, so obviously, I don't think I can do much until I get enough complaince parts to do this right. I have read through the list on this forum, and later on I plan on printing it out and checking out my rifle's status to see if I can feasibly do this.

So how does it work? If my gun currently is an imported gun, its importation must outdate the import law's effect, or qualify as antique or something. I figure that the moment i put a new stock on it, then everything changes and I need to have the proper number of USA-made-parts and 10 or fewer foreign parts. Am I correct in this interpretation, or is there something I am overlooking?

ALso, does this sound like a project worth pursuing, considering I strongly prefer pistol grips for these types of riles? Or are the limits from the import legality issues too difficult to worth within?

Any suggestions would be greaty appreciated! Also, does anyone have a link to an "official" source on how many parts a rifle is allowed to have before it is considered "foreign" for 922r?

• 6 months later...