galil handguard on .410

well after a 3 month hiatus (lots of hours at work) im back into working on the saiga, and i think the first mod i want to do is one of the galil style front handguards if thats possible. i see they sell em in tapco for 39.99 for the ak and 59.99 for the saiga. this may be a stupid question but which one do i want? im going to assume when it says one is for the saiga it means the 7.62 or .308, not the shotgun. either way, which one do i go with and how much if any am i going to have to modify it?

Edited by southerncross

I believe Tapco's Saiga version of the handguard fits the Saigas X39 and 223. The 410 one would require modification if it would work at all.

I haven't yet done a short wooden handguard for the Saiga 410, but there's only one detail I would have to check before promising I could. If you're interested in wood give me a holler.

You may have to check on this, but Dinzag's handguard retainers may also be a solution, which would use the $39.99 AK pattern Galil handguard.

As I said I'd have to double check one detail that would affect my version, but I could make one on the AK pattern that would work with Dinzag's retainer.

thanks to both of you for the replies. dinzag, i sent you an email regarding the hg retainer and a brake. im not really a fan of wood on my rifles, but i have to say that i have seen some really nice stuff on this forum. . . especially on dinzags .410.

• 9 months later...

This looks like and old topic but i didn't want to start a new thread about it. MY tapco saiga galil handguard on my .410 was a little hard to use the sights with that cover on and was horrible looking with it off just too much empty space along the sides of the gas tube. my solution was cut along the level of the top of the retainer then use my cut pieces to fill fill the inside by plastic welding the 2 together then sanding smooth. Nothing to special but might ive someone else some ideas if they want to change their handguard a little. :rolleyes:

post-6703-1192409476_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1192409491_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1192409502_thumb.jpg

This looks like and old topic but i didn't want to start a new thread about it. MY tapco saiga galil handguard on my .410 was a little hard to use the sights with that cover on and was horrible looking with it off just too much empty space along the sides of the gas tube. my solution was cut along the level of the top of the retainer then use my cut pieces to fill fill the inside by plastic welding the 2 together then sanding smooth. Nothing to special but might ive someone else some ideas if they want to change their handguard a little. :rolleyes:

You mean kind of like this?

post-1293-1192412555_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1192412650_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1192412668_thumb.jpg

You mean kind of like this?

post-1293-1192412555_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1192412650_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1192412668_thumb.jpg

YUP :super::up: