.223 conversion

Guys,

I've been scrubbing the site looking for an actual list of pieces that are needed for the .223 conversion. Yes, I finally got the hammer pin off ;) It came off so easily. I feel like a maroon. Anyway, if anyone has a list of parts i.e trigger, hammer, etc.

Thanks In Advance,

Chris

Guys,

I've been scrubbing the site looking for an actual list of pieces that are needed for the .223 conversion. Yes, I finally got the hammer pin off ;) It came off so easily. I feel like a maroon. Anyway, if anyone has a list of parts i.e trigger, hammer, etc.

Thanks In Advance,

Chris

chris this is what you need gas piston fire control [ trigger disconector hammer] stock hand guard gailil mags dinzag's bullet guide fire control retainer platefor refinishing dulicolor satin black engine paint matches sagia's finishasorted hand tools dermel tool center punch and asorted drift punches if i left any thing out someone else will chime in. gunguy51
chris this is what you need gas piston fire control [ trigger disconector hammer] stock hand guard gailil mags dinzag's bullet guide fire control retainer platefor refinishing dulicolor satin black engine paint matches sagia's finishasorted hand tools dermel tool center punch and asorted drift punches if i left any thing out someone else will chime in. gunguy51

I think you're missing at least one 'compliance' part, Compadre (assuming the gas piston & 3 fire control group parts are US-made). It's my understanding that we need at least 5 'compliance' parts with the standard muzzle, and at least 6 with a threaded muzzle. Common 'compliance' parts (required to comply with federal law) include:

Fire control group (hammer, trigger, disconnector, 3 'compliance' parts - all of which you need to buy for the conversion anyway, so a lot of guys figure, why not buy American?)

Pistol grip (ditto)

Buttstock, folding or fixed (ditto)

Gas piston (change not needed to convert, but US-made versions are available)

Hand guards (ditto)

Muzzle device for threaded muzzle (ditto)

Magazine floorplates (I've made my own - while located right here, inside the United States - for both the steel & synthetic Galil mags)

Magazine followers (Robinson Arms parts if you're using AK-74 mags - and Havoc308 is checking to see if standard M-16/AR-15 'green' followers can be modified to work in the Galil Orlites)

A bullet guide is needed if you are going to be using magazines that are not factory Saiga mags - but the bullet guide is not a compliance part. The Red Star Arms axis pin retaining plate makes tear down/assembly of the FCG easier (I recommend it 100%), but again, it does not count towards the compliance count.

You'll probably want some little plastic plugs for the 'left over' holes in the receiver after you're finished with the conversion. They were between $0.25 & $0.50 each at my local hardware store. I used five: four for the unused pin holes at the rear of the receiver, and one for the rivet hole inside the trigger guard. You may have to open up the rivet hole a bit to match the size of the other four holes (I didn't, and it was an SOB getting the plug in), plus you'll want to verify that the shank on the plug doesn't interfere with the function of the FCG.

Finally, I would probably add some kind of drill (& some good bits, with cutting fluid ;>) to the list of tools...

;>)

Edited by Bad Bob

Guys,

I've got most if not all of the tools already. That part won't be an issue. I just want to make sure that I order the correct parts. I was looking at this trigger group on midwestarmory.com

Ak G2 US Trigger Group. has anyone ever used this before? If so, are you happy with it?

Hey remember to get the FCG single hook, your Saiga have stamped receiver

G2 tapco is ok a prefer FSE but what ever comes cheaper with package deal on parts.

You can use the double-hook FCG with the Saiga (or any other stamped) receiver, if you are willing to cut a second slot. Very easy - just mark it out in pencil to match the existing slot (except for US-made NDS-3 & NDS AMD-65 receivers), carefully drill a hole to form the end of the 'new' slot, and carefully connect the hole to the main (square part of the) trigger opening with a Dremel tool w/ cutting wheel. Clean it up with a small flat file (& a round chain saw sharpening file might help clean things up, too, in my experience).

I hate to say it, but I kind of prefer the double-hook triggers. I've had a few bad experiences with US-made parts (NOT with Saigas). And someone once noted on an AK forum somewhere, that if one of the hooks on a double-hook trigger breaks off, the rifle will still function fine with just the one remaining hook (either side). I figure that kind of failure would be more likely with after-market parts, than actual military parts.

It's more work, but it is a bit of insurance, in my book - plus, it might prove (on some rifles) that you have actually swapped out the factory trigger.

As for the G2 FCGs, I have never had a problem with them, single-hook or double-hook, in a properly manufactured receiver (and the Saiga receiver is as "proper" as you can get - it's genuine, original Russian!!! ;>)...

(Not that I have anything against FSE - I used their parts in my FAL builds, with no problems whatsoever. The G2 FCGs were just easier for me to locate when I needed them for AK builds... ;>)

my apologies for all of the questions but what size piston do I need to get?

thanks,

Chris

PLEASE do not apologize for asking questions. That's how people learn how to do things here!

FWIW, I didn't swap my piston when I did my conversion: I used a G2 double-hook FCG (3 'compliance' parts), and US-made pistol grip, butt stock, muzzle device, and mag floorplate (4 more 'compliance' parts). That's seven parts total, without the piston (and I believe you only need 6 - only 5, if you do not thread the muzzle). I've checked a Romanian thumb-lever side-folder butt stock from DPH Arms for fit (only $49 - what a deal!), and that would be legal (6 'compliance' parts) also, if I understand things correctly. I'm hoping to add US-made mag followers to all of my mags - which already have US-made floorplates - because insurance isn't bad, especially when it's cheap.

Anyone who has actually swapped out a Saiga piston, please post your comments...