Scope mount, what's the trick?

I just received this mount, and it looks great, but the lock mechanism won't (lock).

It seems the mount doesn't quite slide far enough forward to position the cam over the depression in the mount on the rifle to engage.

Am I missing something, or do I need to send this thing back for a different mount? I'd like one that allowed me to still use the iron sights.

TIA!

Bill

That mount should work. Sometimes you need to pull away from the receiver a little to get the mount to slide on. Make sure the mount rails are parallel and not bowed in at all. If the sliding on is tight you may need to loosen the screw on the lever a bit, or conversely tighten it if the mount is not on solidly.

• 5 weeks later...
I just received this mount, and it looks great, but the lock mechanism won't (lock).

It seems the mount doesn't quite slide far enough forward to position the cam over the depression in the mount on the rifle to engage.

Am I missing something, or do I need to send this thing back for a different mount? I'd like one that allowed me to still use the iron sights.

TIA!

Bill

I sort of had the same problem when I tried a Rommy Scope on my Saiga 223.

Try this:

Liberally apply some gun oil to the rail top and bottom to get it nice and lubed up.

Mine needed this to finally go all the way flush with the stop pin.

Than try sliding your scope back on.

At the risk of sounding condescending, are you sliding it on from the back or the front?

Also, these have to be adjusted for proper fit. Go to kalinka optics and download directions on adjusting a standard AK mount if you have not done this yet.

From what I can till yours looks like a standard AK mount that should go on from the back of the rail forward. What type of mount does your scope have exactly? AK type will go on from back. SVD style from the front but will not go all the way back and is not recommended as it may creep during recoil. THis info is important.

Edited by GonzoX
I sort of had the same problem when I tried a Rommy Scope on my Saiga 223.

Try this:

Liberally apply some gun oil to the rail top and bottom to get it nice and lubed up.

Mine needed this to finally go all the way flush with the stop pin.

Than try sliding your scope back on.

At the risk of sounding condescending, are you sliding it on from the back or the front?

Also, these have to be adjusted for proper fit. Go to kalinka optics and download directions on adjusting a standard AK mount if you have not done this yet.

From what I can till yours looks like a standard AK mount that should go on from the back of the rail forward. What type of mount does your scope have exactly? AK type will go on from back. SVD style from the front but will not go all the way back and is not recommended as it may creep during recoil. THis info is important.

I never thought of the manual from Kalinka! (Well, never thought to look for one.) Mine should be AK-standard, so maybe some lube and some adjusting is all that's needed.

I don't have a scope yet, but since I will use the gun in USPSA multi-gun stuff, I'm leaning toward a low-magnification "turkey" zoom, or a red-dot type.

Thanks!

Bill

Well, the mount I got is much more crude than the Kalinka one. Just a single-piece lock held in tension by a split washer. The bulge on the "cam" of the lock is clearly too large. I removed the security screw holding it together enough to move it to the fully-locked position, and it wouldn't thread back in without cross-threading.

I'm going to play with some polishing stones, but I may just cough up for the good Kalinka mount before it's all said and done.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Bill

Well, the mount I got is much more crude than the Kalinka one. Just a single-piece lock held in tension by a split washer. The bulge on the "cam" of the lock is clearly too large. I removed the security screw holding it together enough to move it to the fully-locked position, and it wouldn't thread back in without cross-threading.

I'm going to play with some polishing stones, but I may just cough up for the good Kalinka mount before it's all said and done.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Bill

I'd stay away from the Kalinka mounts. I bought two of the them and I was not pleased at all. The locking lever keeps falling off and they are not very well centered....