recoil buffers

the buffer WILL work. the cracking you speak of happened in the 1950's with the first russian milled recievers. cold rolled steel recievers kind of like (not exactly what) you have in your .308 will hold up to at least 40,000 rounds, which is quite a statement, if you ask me. Probably a lot more, if not a lifetime of weekly outings to a range, but if you are finikcy with your weapons, you should put the buffer in there. I dont really care much either way myself, I can fix my kalishnakov-types if I need to. (they are made in someone's basement out of old beer cans in my opinion) I am of a lower opinion of these weapons than most of the guys here, as they will tell you it will last 20 million rounds or more. bottom line is its a good gun, and you dont and shouldnt baby it. My advice is to fire it without stripping it, cleaning it, or even putting a buffer in it for about 4-500 rounds, then do what you want to to it. maybe wipe it with an oiled rag if you notice any rust on it, but thats about it. You shouldnt have to clean this action for a LONG LONG time, let alone protect it. The buffer DOES absorb some of the snap from the bolt carrier coming back, so I could see to make it more comfortable at first, installing one, but you should really let the gun's parts loosen up a little bit before you do much to it. Like I said, its just my opinion.