Saiga Feed ramp. Can I drill w/ a hand drill?

I had my Saiga's homemade feed ramp attached with 2 ton epoxy and while it held for a few hundred rounds, it has come off. I'm going to do the drill, tap and screw method along with expoxy.

Only problem is that I don't have access to a drill press. Do you think I can do it with a hand drill? I know that the trunion/reciever in that area is very tought to drill. Do you think that I can do it? Thanks.

Great, thanks for the response. It's good to know that it can be done with a hand drill.

So did you drill all the way through to the other side and use a nut underneath? How long did it take you to drill? Is it very tough metal? Did you only use one drill bit? (didn't break any I assume?) Thanks.

I didn't use a tungsten drill bit. But It did have to be a GOOD one. I took my origonal set back that I origonally bought for this project!

just place the guide in the best postition (cycle the rifle)....you know all that.

drill through the ramp itself with the "Clearance-hole" size, but not very far. then you're perfectly marked for the trunion hole "tap" size.

If you're going all the way through you're good either way.

I KNEW A NUT WOULD FIT UNDER THERE!!!!!!!! I thought about it while I was drilling mine!

reccess the bolt head and you're there.

I used 4/40 with some killer epoxy! hasn't budged since!

happy shootin'

I would sooooooo agreee there! just make sure you epoxy the nut too. I took that 4/40 tap to it's limits, backing it out many times - LOTS of oil.

just start big, then cut it to the longest possible legnth and go back from there (put the nut on before you cut, so when you back it off it'll rethread - rookie stuff there). go the longest possible and still fit into your recessed hole, and the bottom of the trunion, most bite you can get- know what I mean vern!

hope that helps!

It's the funniest thing, but my Saiga X39 has a decent round count using... try not to laugh guys... A section of PVC pipe. Atached by... ready guys... ? Being wedged in by hand. I kid you not. I shaped it with a Dremel to wedge between the trunion and the barrel, and angled the edge of the feed ramp. It was intended as a stop gap measure until I got my hands on the metal that I wanted to use. Hundreds of rounds later, including quite a bit of rapid fire recently, the feed ramp's as tight as ever, and while showing wear, seems to be as much there as when I shoved it in there. It's real funny to see a piece of white down there.

Since I used absolutely nothing to attach it, it will leave no nasty clean up if it ever fails and I have to replace it with something more standard.

It went through pretty fast for me.  I slid the nut between the trunion and receiver with no problem.  I had trouble getting the bolt started because I used needle nose pliers to hold the nut.

I used needlenosed vicegrips to hold the nut under the trunion till I got the screw in it. Also I used a nylock nut, so I won't need to locktight. It may not be factory but that sucker is in there for keeps.

Edited by aknewb
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, let me tell you I got the bulgarian feed ramp, and is a pain to put on, I got it on after two ours of filing, but I wanted to try something different so I used a rivet, not the, original rivet, but a pop rivet, as far as I can tell it seems to work fine, Im talking it to the range on the weekend, I will report how it went. :killer:

Maybe someone *COmoderatorUGH* could add a tutorial section.. and maybe someone with a really good digital camera who does these conversions can take some close up photos that make good points about things.. cause, reading the S's site.. I just got confused most of the time. HEHE. I'm not a gunsmith.

I am STILL confused as to how to do this feedramp thing. And, I've read EVERYTHING on this board about it. <_<

Maybe I should just save up and buy an AK if I want that type of rifle. Cheaper than messing up a perfectly good brand new rifle when I dunno what I'm doing. :P