308 Muzzle Brake and 922r

I did a search and saw some posts that said if you add a USA build muzzle brake, you will not violate the 922r compliance for an unconverted Saiga rifle. Just to confirm, is this correct?

Thanks for your time.

Crashy

My understanding is: that once you add any kind of US made part (from the list of compliance pasts) to your Saiga you have to play a "10 or less imported parts" game

Nevermind. I re-read the post, and I was confused. I think if you add a muzzle brake you need to be 922r compliant.

Regards,

Crashy

I did a search and saw some posts that said if you add a USA build muzzle brake, you will not violate the 922r compliance for an unconverted Saiga rifle. Just to confirm, is this correct?

Thanks for your time.

Crashy

My understanding is: that once you add any kind of US made part (from the list of compliance pasts) to your Saiga you have to play a "10 or less imported parts" game

Thanks for your time.

Crashy

Not correct. You have to play the "10-or-less-imported-parts-game" if you add a feature that would be prohibited from importation on your rifle. For AK style rifles, this includes:

• Folding Stock
  • Separate Pistol Grip
  • Threaded Muzzle
  • Flash Hider
  • Bayonet Lug
  • Night Sights
  • Hi-capacity magazine (since 1998)

The list is from an older ATF brochure (see: http://www.simonov.net/Files/assault.zip), and may change with time. As long as he doesn't thread his muzzle or add a flash hider, he should be OK.

IANAL & YMMV.

Larry

Here's a question on this subject:

Let's say we have a converted Saiga that has the required number of parts exactly (no extras). If the barrel was threaded and a Flash hider was installed non-permanently, would you get in trouble if the flash hider WAS NOT U.S. made? Or must the flash hider be U.S. Made to maintain compliance?

Thanks,

John

Thanks for your time.

Crashy

Not correct. You have to play the "10-or-less-imported-parts-game" if you add a feature that would be prohibited from importation on your rifle. For AK style rifles, this includes:

• Folding Stock
  • Separate Pistol Grip
  • Threaded Muzzle
  • Flash Hider
  • Bayonet Lug
  • Night Sights
  • Hi-capacity magazine (since 1998)

The list is from an older ATF brochure (see: http://www.simonov.net/Files/assault.zip), and may change with time. As long as he doesn't thread his muzzle or add a flash hider, he should be OK.

IANAL & YMMV.

Larry

How am I not correct? ;) Read the question then the my response. when you said it yourself if he is to add a muzzle Brake aka Flash hider (list of compliance Parts) he will need to play "less then 10 parts" game. :smoke:

Here's a question on this subject:

Let's say we have a converted Saiga that has the required number of parts exactly (no extras). If the barrel was threaded and a Flash hider was installed non-permanently, would you get in trouble if the flash hider WAS NOT U.S. made? Or must the flash hider be U.S. Made to maintain compliance?

Thanks,

John

In this case the flash hider will need to be US made otherwise you are increasing the number of Non-US parts to 11 have to balance it out by replacing something else (that wasn't already replaced)

My .02 :rolleyes:

How am I not correct? ;) Read the question then the my response. when you said it yourself if he is to add a muzzle Brake aka Flash hider (list of compliance Parts) he will need to play "less then 10 parts" game. :smoke:

How are you possibly correct? Two points:

A. Not all muzzle brakes are are considered "flash hiders".

B. Example which violates your assertion: You could replace the imported hammer (a listed part) with a US-made one and not have to play the "10-or-less-imported-parts-game", since you have not added a prohibited feature. (Note that it's probably not wise to replace just one FCG part, but this was an example after all.)

Larry

Edited by LESchwartz

The flash hider would need to be US-made. The "10-or-less-imported-parts-game" is an excercise in subtraction. (15 - 5) + 1 = 11, which means "no joy".

Larry

Ah crap.... I was worried about that. Thanks for the confirmation. I am fairly certain that the Dragunov flash hider I got for my S-308 isn't US Made. There is no markings on it period.

Fortunately, I know of a place that DOES make a reasonable reproduction of the Dragunov Flash Hider and in the US. But it means putting me back another 40 bucks and then having a flash hider I can't use.... bah

If anyone wants one and doesn't want to make my mistake, check these Iraqi "Tabuk" clone flash hiders:

http://nodakspud.com/index.htm

All the best!

John

Ah crap.... I was worried about that. Thanks for the confirmation. I am fairly certain that the Dragunov flash hider I got for my S-308 isn't US Made. There is no markings on it period.

Fortunately, I know of a place that DOES make a reasonable reproduction of the Dragunov Flash Hider and in the US. But it means putting me back another 40 bucks and then having a flash hider I can't use.... bah

If anyone wants one and doesn't want to make my mistake, check these Iraqi "Tabuk" clone flash hiders:

http://nodakspud.com/index.htm

"Tabuk" style flash hider. A quality US made part that replicates the Iraqi model. An original was used as our pattern. Can also be used on SVD replicas. Will fit any barrel with std 14x1 left hand threads. Has 5 slots and 5 locking detents.

Material: 1018 steel Length: 3.680"

NDS-28 "Tabuk" flash hider $40 each

NoDakSpud has a very good reputation. I would contact them and ask if it's US marked & where.

Note that using this unit involves threading the muzzle, and threads force you to play the "10-or-less-imported-parts-game".

Larry

Thanks for your time.

Crashy

I am confused and maybe you guys can set me straight. My saiga has, Flashhider, barrel, trunion, receiver, bolt, bolt carrier,gas piston. These parts are original or foreign. That is eight parts everything else is U.S. made. Is this 922 compliant and if so must a U.S. made magazine be used?

Thanks for your time.

Crashy

I am confused and maybe you guys can set me straight. My saiga has, Flashhider, barrel, trunion, receiver, bolt, bolt carrier,gas piston. These parts are original or foreign. That is eight parts everything else is U.S. made. Is this 922 compliant and if so must a U.S. made magazine be used?

Your post is pretty confusing . . . if there are really eight imported parts, then you're OK (but will need to use US-made mags). However, since your list has only seven parts in it, that would mean the following parts are US made: FCG (3), stock, PG, handguard, magazine (3). And if there are only seven imported parts, then you could still use the imported magaze (7 + 3 = 10).

IANAL & YMMV.

Larry

Thanks for your time.

Crashy

Thank you LESchwartz, You see what I mean by confusing, I'm sorry, I miscounted. The parts total is seven original Russian. The U.S. parts are pistol grip, buttstock , G-2 FCG =five. Thanks for your input.

How are you possibly correct? Two points:

A. Not all muzzle brakes are are considered "flash hiders".

B. Example which violates your assertion: You could replace the imported hammer (a listed part) with a US-made one and not have to play the "10-or-less-imported-parts-game", since you have not added a prohibited feature. (Note that it's probably not wise to replace just one FCG part, but this was an example after all.)

Larry

Exactly.

Idol8, The reason you have to play the parts game is NOT just because you change out a foreign part for an american made one. The only time you have to play the parts game is when you are turning your "Sporter Rifle" into an "Assault Weapon" by adding a part like a pistol grip, folding stock or high cap magazine, etc. Then you have to start changing out parts.

Another example of a modification not requiring the parts game would be changing out your hand guard.

Edited by Vermiform