Completely new to Saigas -- a few questions

I have never owned nor even fired a Saiga before, but I've been wanting to try them out for some time now.

I have one on its way (should be here next week) and, according to UPS, the AGP mags I ordered some time ago should arrive about the same time.

I also have one of the side-folding (Russian???) stocks that fit unmodified Saigas (I bought one back when Cope's first got them, thinking I'd eventually use it on something but not knowing what).

So here are my newbie questions (yes, I looked at the FAQs but I am still unsure about many things):

What do I need to do to my factory-fresh-out-of-the-box Saiga 12 to legally (I'm in Alabama, so no state-AWB to worry about... just federal law) use the 10-round magazines? (From the FAQ and threads I've read, I THINK the answer is "Nothing" but I'm not sure.)

What would I need to do to it to legally use the side-folding stock with pistol-grip? (I believe I would need to swap US parts for a certain number of the OEM parts -- is there someone who offers that service? I see the full-blown Tromix conversions advertised, but will they [Tromix] do just a US-parts swap?)

Will the parts-count stuff done to use the folding stock (if I go that route) be enough to use the 10-round mags with it as well. (My assumption is "Yes" since those magazines are US-made but, again, I am uncertain.)

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide, and forgive my utter lack of knowledge about these shotguns. :unsure:

Edited by HardShell

From my understanding of it all, your assumptions sound correct. If you goal is to put on a RUSSIAN stock and a US pistol grip just make SURE that your US manufactured part count is 3 or more. I wouldnt count the ten rounders, ignore them until you have at least three US parts in the gun itself. I had a stock saiga that now has a folder and a pg, although my US parts include a new gas piston (Tromix), Disconnector (Tapco), Hammer (Tapco), Trigger (Tapco), Handguard (HALO Mfg.), folding stock (KVAR), and the SAW pg (Tapco). Then I add three from the AGP mags. If anybody else reads me giving incorrect info I am nearly sure that they will chime in.

You can use US made magazines on an unconverted gun. The shotgun starts out with 13 foreign parts, so using mag body, mag follower, and floor plate will take you to 10: the golden number.

Adding a PG will take you to 14 parts, so you'll have to find a new way to get to 10 besides magazines. So if you used ONLY AGP US made magazines, you could do the foreign stock/PG, and any 1 other part such as a piston, handguard, etc. If you still wanted to use foreign magazines, you'd have to do a bit more work and swap out 4 things to US. So FCG (3 parts) and a piston for example. My suggestion is to get domestic PG or stock.

... If you still wanted to use foreign magazines, you'd have to do a bit more work and swap out 4 things to US. So FCG (3 parts) and a piston for example...

Are US-made FCGs and pistons readily available? Are they the same parts as one would use on an AK rifle, or are they proprietary to the shotguns?

Thanks for the replies so far...

Are US-made FCGs and pistons readily available? Are they the same parts as one would use on an AK rifle, or are they proprietary to the shotguns?

Yes........the most common US made trigger group is the Tapco G2 single hook, which requires a little reshaping of the hammer (no big deal); Tapco and others also make US made pistons. Triggers are the same for the rifles and the shotguns (for the most part.......there are some fancier triggers like the Red Star that are usually reserved for the rifles.)

Edited by tritium