Trouble at the range today

My son and I went to the range so that we could get his .223 Saiga newly quipped with an Untimak Rail, and a Tacpoint (Hakko copy of an Aimpoint) dialed in. Well we have been using Galil mags for a while now the wierdest thing happened the last round would jump out of the gun almost every time, I played with it a few times and the darn thing would jump stright out of the ejection port, when I closed the bolt. All I could figure it had something to do with the magazine and bullet guide. Well I'll have to give this a lot of thought. The gun has run flawlessly in 3 or 4 three gun matches plus practice. We also played around with my Mauser, just put a scope on it.

...the last round would jump out of the gun almost every time.

FWIW, and IMHO (which is worth everything you paid for it ;>) 'last round' problems tend to be a result of changing, by accident (crack, chip, etc.), or on purpose, the feed lips (as dinzag noted above - thank you, dinzag), or possibly the mag follower or spring. Can you function-fire the rifle with a different mag? Or did the problem show up with every mag? (I'm DEFINITELY not trying to tell you what you saw & experienced - I've been there, and done that, so I ain't goin' anywhere near that... ;>)

We also played around with my Mauser, just put a scope on it.

How did the Mauser do? I like Mausers a lot! FWIW - you can buy 'antique,' pre-1899 Mausers, through the mail, delivered directly to your home, that work just like the newer models, and fire GREAT cartridges, 100% legal in many (most?) States and under federal law, just like our dads & grandfathers did. Let me tell you - there's nothing like receiving a fine 'antique' (in legal terms only) rifle delivered to your doorstep, to remind you of how much freedom your father & grandfather enjoyed...

;>)

(Although I have to admit, I've sold every one of my 'antique' Mausers, and kept only my 'antique' Lee-Enfield carbine. The action is faster & smoother than any bolt-action rifle I've ever tried out, including the excellent US-made Krags. But if I didn't have the 'antique' L-E, I would definitely have kept my 7x57mm 1895-contract Chilean Mauser short rifle... ;>)

The Mauser has an interesting history, it was made in the Spandau Armory in 1900, at some point during the second world war it was re-barreled to the standard miltary 8mm used by Germany at that time, after the war it fell in to the hands of the American Army and was issued to friendly German Police, the barrel was hacked down a bit and the bolt was bent down. The weapon has imperial stampings, the replacement barrel has Nazi markings and the stock has a US Army MP stamp on it.

Also we only shot it a 50 yards but I put two bullets almost in the same hole. And just messing around with it we put 6 in a 2 inch group. A few years ago I was in Oregon and shooting with some friends who consider themselves the Great Hunter of the North Country, anyway there was a slice of a log put on a stump about 100 yards away and one of my friends bet me that I could not hit it. First shot I knocked it down second shot I pushed it off the stump. I love that old gun.

I will take the advice and inspect the Galil mags tonight.

I will... inspect the Galil mags tonight.

If you get the problem described with multiple mags, then I will definitely 'bow out,' because that would sound like a non-mag-related problem. I'm guessing there are others here, though (including professional gunsmiths), that could still help you out, so please post your results...

My son will be shooting it in a 3 gun match on Saturday so I'll let you know also I'm going to bring Weiger mags so if there is a problem he can switch to the Weigers.

I did inspect the mags and saw no problems. This only happened with the last round so if there it's not that big of a deal because Eric always combat reloads before going dry. He has two Galil mags clinched together.

Edited by topmaul