Serial Number Location on .223

Just curious if everyones serial number is located on the front trunnion? When I got my new Saiga from Stanleys a couple of weeks ago I was surprised to see that it didn't have the "Read manual first" crap slathered across the side of the receiver. I've seen pics of ones that do have it and thought I'd find it on any new firearm. Since it drives me up the wall I was thrilled with its absence.

The second shock was discovering there was no serial number whatsoever on the receiver itself. I know it's usually on the trunnion on the AK kits that come in but as probably everyone here knows under BATFE rules the receiver and therefore the gun is the part with the serial on it. Is this standard on Saigas? If so I sure don't see how they got that one by. In my case at least the front trunnion is the receiver. I guess if the trunnion gets damaged it would be junk unless RAAC would replace it.

Just curious if everyones serial number is located on the front trunnion? When I got my new Saiga from Stanleys a couple of weeks ago I was surprised to see that it didn't have the "Read manual first" crap slathered across the side of the receiver. I've seen pics of ones that do have it and thought I'd find it on any new firearm. Since it drives me up the wall I was thrilled with its absence.

The second shock was discovering there was no serial number whatsoever on the receiver itself. I know it's usually on the trunnion on the AK kits that come in but as probably everyone here knows under BATFE rules the receiver and therefore the gun is the part with the serial on it. Is this standard on Saigas? If so I sure don't see how they got that one by. In my case at least the front trunnion is the receiver. I guess if the trunnion gets damaged it would be junk unless RAAC would replace it.

Mine is on the left side, on the main part of the barrel,sight, block piece. h

It's on there. Maybe the bottom front?

Horseman - that is the trunnion ID. There's also one on the receiver somewhere...

also the bolt & carrier.

Thanks for responding guys.

Dinzag, I just rechecked it for about the tenth time. If that number is anywhere on the receiver it's printed in invisible ink and I can't see it or I'm going blind. The last three digits of the serial are on the bolt, carrier, etc. but not even those are on the receiver itself. The only full serial on the weapon is located on the left side of the front trunnion where it extends above the receiver.

Someone smeared white paint across it to bring the numbers into clear relief. I couldn't believe it either. That's why I went over it so many times before posting. I even used my visor magnifier on it thinking maybe the numbers had filled in with black paint when the receiver was coated.

From what I've seen this is the way the genuine AK's are serialed. All the kits I've looked at have the full serial on the trunnion and the last three digits on everything else. I'm just dumbfounded that one earmarked for the U.S. would be the same way.

Horseman, does your Saiga have the "read manual first" warning on the left side of the receiver?

Most imported stamped receiver AK's have the serial number on the front trunnion.The rest of the info is on the sheetmetal,maker,importer and caliber.Some years ago a gunsmith wrote ATF asking about removing the rivets and front trunnion from the sheetmetal for "service".He wanted to make some changes in barrel length and caliber and the barrel diameter was different.The ATF responded it was okay to remove the front trunnion for service to the rifle.This is a bit surprising because removing the serial number from the receiver is not allowed,even if it is returned.This caused the beltfed conversions of HK-91's to require cutting anf folding the receiver at the serial number instead of cutting and welding the piece with the S/N back on the receiver.Now the funny thing about the gunsmith's letter and the ATF response was that there is no mention of serial number location by either.At the time of the leeter all AK's were imported and all stamped receivers had the serial number on the trunnion unless they were the RPK type which have the number in the sheetmetal.