If I couldn't have a Kalashnikov based 308 then this would have to

Heck, I'd take one of those over any Kalashnikov as long as I could get a few mags.

Why?

What does it do better than a Kalashnikov?

I was all hot for it but after reading about it I can't really see the advantage over a properly prepared Saiga or VEPR other than "cool factor".

Similar operating system

Similar accuracy

Similar magazine changes

Other than a bolt hold open and being able to flip the receiver halves open to do field repairs it offers no advantage over a my custom Saiga..

Now if they gave it a push button magazine release in the index finger location,straight insertion magazines,left side charging handle like an FN/FAL then I might have to give it some serious thought.

Edited by SOPMOD
I'm guessing due to the gas system, it might be a little easier to suppress than a S.308.

Sure is a beauty.

A|G

Only because it's got a gas cutoff like an FAL or Yugo M70 but it's piston/carrier is basically identical to a Kalashnikov but it is in two seperate pieces instead of a unitized carrier and piston like the AK.

Does this look familiar?

550_bolt_and_carrier.jpg

I had a certain impression of its smoothness, ergonomics, balance, and general quality that would have to be qualified by real experience. If I had a chance to handle and fire both Sig and Saiga-308 side by side, then I suppose I'd have place to talk.

Well cosmetically it's lightyears beyond the "Russian Kids w/ Cans of Krylon" finish that our Saigas come with and it does have a nice folding stock but are they worth $2200 over the cost of a Saiga?

• 10 months later...
I had a certain impression of its smoothness, ergonomics, balance, and general quality that would have to be qualified by real experience. If I had a chance to handle and fire both Sig and Saiga-308 side by side, then I suppose I'd have place to talk.

Well I got to take the "Pepsi Challenge" when a new SIG556 turned up in the local cop shop and It is indeed one smooth SOB and deadly,deadly,deadly accurate right out of the box!!

January2008010.jpg

I was shocked by it's ergonomics and it AR Like handling but I can honestly say that my 308 Saiga was no slouch once propely setup and after shooting the SIG in 223 I really won't be able to justify spending thousands of extra dollars to upgrade my 308 system.

The 223 SIG556 however is quite a bit more affordable 308 SIG/SAPR.

Edited by SOPMOD

I had SIG AMT in 308 once and it was a decent rifle but it was way too heavy at about 12 lbs. The sights were crude too. . I like the new 556 but I hate those collapsable stocks as they're way too uncomfortable to shoot with for me. I can never get a proper cheek weld with one and they're too fragile, especially on a crappy AR series. Too bad they don't have the solid 550 series folding stock on it....I'd even break down and buy one due to the super accuracy that SIG is known for.(and I hate 223 cal. weapons too!)

I had SIG AMT in 308 once and it was a decent rifle but it was way too heavy at about 12 lbs. The sights were crude too. . I like the new 556 but I hate those collapsable stocks as they're way too uncomfortable to shoot with for me. I can never get a proper cheek weld with one and they're too fragile, especially on a crappy AR series. Too bad they don't have the solid 550 series folding stock on it....I'd even break down and buy one due to the super accuracy that SIG is known for.(and I hate 223 cal. weapons too!)

The SIG 550 lower is totally interchangeable with the SIG 556 upper by the way :smoke: