What protective cases?

Hi guys,

I've been playing with the idea of getting a nice fitted hard case for my 308. Here's the problem:

In order to have clearance for how I'd possibly like to transport the rifle, I'd need a large case. Ideally, I'd like to transport it withe the PSOP scope attached and *possibly* with a 20 round magazine in the rifle. This is making the rifle rather tall.

With a 20 round magazine in the rifle and an 8X PSOP, I'm looking at a roughly 12" tall rifle. The largest cases I've seen have either 13.5" or 14" internal dimension clearance for the height of the rifle which leaves the rifle rather crowded in the case and may not offer the top and bottom protection I'd like.

For reference:

Pelican 1750 internal dimensions: 50.50" X 13.50" X 5.25"

Hardigg Storm Case iM3300 internal dimensions: 50.50" X 14.0" X 6.0"

What are you guys doing for transport cases?

Thanks

John

I use the crappo-wal-mart one, but I don't load the mag. One of the ranges here requires that you show registration as you enter, and if you opened up the case with a mag in (empty or not) they would kick you off. I don't imagine it would give a cop a warm-and-fuzzy if he pulled you over and searched either.

my .02

I hear ya... I am only talking about capibility, not how I intend to transport it.

However, I very well may. A lot of my transporting is strapped to a 4 wheeler and getting from my house to my deer stand.

Here, the police are very RKBA friendly, and expect you to have a firearm.... but they'd freak out as much seeing an unloaded one as they would a loaded one, I expect.

For the purpose of this, I could as easily say that it has to clear my pistol grip and scope mounted. The grip has about the same length as a 20 round magazine on mine. (It is an adjustable palmrest "PSG1-ish grip)

I looked at the walmart cases, but didn't thing it would fit... I may look again.

Thanks!

John

I looked at the walmart cases, but didn't thing it would fit... I may look again.

Thanks!

John

When it comes to gun cases I tend to "think outside the box." I definately prefer something that does not look like a gun case. For what you are wanting, a keyboard or guitar case could work perfectly - check out the local music store. Sporting goods stores in the tackle and fishing departments as well as the camping departments also can be a good source for non-traditional cases. Finally (and my favorite), surplus stores. Empty cases from all sorts of electronic gizmos find their way there and I can usually find something perfect for my needs at a well stock surplus store. Sometimes coming up with a good source for foam to line a case (if it doesn't come with it) can be harder than finding the case. Craft stores, upholstery stores/shops and online are all good possibilities for that.

-Scott

Adam, I swear you are reading my mind! I was talking to my wife last night about the possibility of using a Keyboard case, stripping it out, and filling it with "pluck" filler. That would be inconspicious, as well as be lockable.

The foam won't be hard to get at all. I've found a lot of places that sell the fill foam for Pelican cases, as well as some that sell fill for various shipping needs.

Looks like I'll have to think outside the box if I am gonna put my rifle IN a box :)

John

Adam, I swear you are reading my mind! I was talking to my wife last night about the possibility of using a Keyboard case, stripping it out, and filling it with "pluck" filler. That would be inconspicious, as well as be lockable.

The foam won't be hard to get at all. I've found a lot of places that sell the fill foam for Pelican cases, as well as some that sell fill for various shipping needs.

Looks like I'll have to think outside the box if I am gonna put my rifle IN a box :)

John

Pluckable foam has its uses, especially in a deep case. I use it in a lot of my cases but my experience is that it is a major PITA! I will try to not get a case any deeper than necessary and use "egg crate" foam if at all possible. Then you are not stuck to the exact pattern, you don't have to be careful how you place and remove objects and it doesn't loose its shape over time as other pieces fall out. Not to mention it is huge amounts cheaper. Pelican foam for a rifle case could cost as much as the case or the rifle itself - ok maybe that's an exageration but its close. Egg-crate foam can be found in large inexpensive sheets as mattress toppers.

Just some thoughts.

-Scott

I have heard that in this state, if the case says something, and it's not a gun type name, that it'll be concealing a rifle, which is illegal here.

I think plain opaque cases are allowed, as well as gun cases.

I was hoping to do the same thing, get mine to fit with scope and 20 rounder, but I havn't found anything yet. I really didn't want to make something work, but I'll swing by the music shop tonight and look for a plain case.

I have one of those Pelican cases and have been extremely satisfied with it. The construction is very sturdy and the foam protection is more than adequate. The wheels are also very handy. I am using it to transport an AR10 with a large scope on it and there is plenty of room. The gun shop where I gought mine did custom cutting of the foam (no charge) so the contents fit perfectly.

Edited by tritium

Thanks!

John

When it comes to gun cases I tend to "think outside the box." I definately prefer something that does not look like a gun case. For what you are wanting, a keyboard or guitar case could work perfectly - check out the local music store. Sporting goods stores in the tackle and fishing departments as well as the camping departments also can be a good source for non-traditional cases. Finally (and my favorite), surplus stores. Empty cases from all sorts of electronic gizmos find their way there and I can usually find something perfect for my needs at a well stock surplus store. Sometimes coming up with a good source for foam to line a case (if it doesn't come with it) can be harder than finding the case. Craft stores, upholstery stores/shops and online are all good possibilities for that.

-Scott

Man, my guitar case was 109.00, but I like the idea. Antonio Banderas-ish. ( I assume you're talking about a rectangular case for an electric) JWarren, I hadn't even thought of carrying it on a 4 wheeler. I thought you were the next DC Sniper or something. I guess I'm in that city mindframe. Some Wal-Marts sell a "double scoped" rifle case. It's still the cheapo thin plastic, and egg-crate insides, but I'm 100% sure you could fit gun with mag inside. I think it ran $30.

This isn't the one that I'm talking about, not as cheap, but would definately fit. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4303558

shane.... no worries my friend :)

I may take another look at the Walmart cases now that I have the measurements of my rifle written down.

Regarding music cases, I still think a keyboard case may be a good start, but not sure about a guitar one.

I have a Hard Case for my Martin Acoustic guitar and I don't think It would fit in that one. Dad has a number of Fender Stratocasters and there is one that it MAY be able to fit in, but most seem to be far to thin to close on the rifle.

All I know about keyboards is that my best friend has a number of them. I haven't seen the cases, but as large as the keyboards he has is, I can see how that case would be a good one to start with.

The next question would be if one could find one that is water resistant. Some of the cases like I have for my Martin seem like they would not stand up well to getting mud or any significant amount of water on them.

Still.... yeah... Antonio Banderas-like would be nice :) TNT just had "Desperato" on this week again.

Best line from the movie is when the priest asks if he'd like confession. His response:

Maybe later, Father. Where I am going, I'd just have to come right back.

Classic.

John

Cool guys...

Tritium,

How tall is the AR-10? I think the Saiga 308 with an FBMG is right at 12 inches tall.

John

The AR itself is 7 1/2 inches tall, 11 with the scope. There is 13 1/2 inches of foam to work with.

The keyboard case option looks very doable... but OMFG some of them cost a lot!

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/pro...p;c=76&s=76

I'm seeing some of these cases going for the mid-350's in cost. I think that makes them a bit cost-prohibitive since we haven't even talked about foam inserts on these....

John

The keyboard case option looks very doable... but OMFG some of them cost a lot!

I'm seeing some of these cases going for the mid-350's in cost. I think that makes them a bit cost-prohibitive since we haven't even talked about foam inserts on these....

John

But they do show up for the $25-50 in surplus stores and thrift stores all the time.

-Scott

Ok.... looks like problem solved.

For reference a Saiga 308 converstion with:

16 inch barrel

3 inch muzzle brake

9.5 inch stock

PSOP scope

20 round magazine

Will *roughly* have the following dimensions to work with:

40 inches long

12 inches tall

3 inches wide