Replacing gas tube

Hi Tritium,

Thanks for the reply, but let me clarify my question. The bolt carrier assembly has been removed from the gun already. I'm now looking to separate the gas piston from the carrier assembly so that I can put on a new gas piston. It screws in and then is held in place with a retaining pin. It is that pin that I'm trying to remove.

Craig

(Edited to correct a typo.)

Edited by craig110
Hi Tritium,

Thanks for the reply, but let me clarify my question. The bolt carrier assembly has been removed from the gun already. I'm now looking to separate the gas piston from the carrier assembly so that I can put on a new gas piston. It screws in and then is held in place with a retaining pin. It is that pin that I'm trying to remove.

Craig

(Edited to correct a typo.)

Gotcha. You mean the gas piston. Chimera is correct. It can be a bit of a PITA.

There is no pin. The carrier is swaged into the piston where you see the dents. Drill out the dents.

Well, that certainly explains why hitting it with a center punch didn't move "the pin." :rolleyes: I have an AK parts diagram that shows a retaining pin there, so I presumed the dimples were the ends of the pin. Sigh. Once I drill the dimples out and replace the tube, will I have to put a pin in to keep the new tube in place?

Edited by craig110

Update on this gas piston replacement. I drilled out the dimples, but apparently got a burr wedged into the piston's threads as I couldn't budge it. I (lowers head in shame) took it to a gunsmith. Shucks, I thought I would get through all the conversion work without having to seek his help.

You have to drill deep enough on both sides to actually start drilling into the "piston". Then you should be able to just put it in a vice and unscrew it with a wrench on the carrier. I replaced the one on my X39 and it was very easy.

I could have helped you sooner but...nevermind..

You have to drill deep enough on both sides to actually start drilling into the "piston". Then you should be able to just put it in a vice and unscrew it with a wrench on the carrier. I replaced the one on my X39 and it was very easy.

I could have helped you sooner but...nevermind..

My drilling was actually quite deep and was well into the piston. (More than a quarter inch in both sides.) It could turn a bit at one point, but then after I went deeper it wouldn't budge. The gunsmith looked at the hole and agreed that something got wedged.