Tromix R01 .223 - Any Hands-On Experience?

Has anybody either ordered or had a chance to see the Tromix R01 conversion built on the .223 frame? From the Tromix site, it has: basic Tromix conversion plus, HK sights, ventilated hand-guard, 14.5" barrel, and permanently mounted phantom flash hider.

The only thing I'm not too sure about is the cutting down of the barrel to 14.5" - what do you gain by doing this - is it just a more convenient size for smaller spaces?

D-Man,

I have a .223 conversion done by Tony at Tromix. I had the folding stock installed and the barrel is 16". I love the HK sights! I also had him fit a Galil mag release.

Long story short....this is now the rifle I pick up when I want to go shoot and I have plenty of rifles to choose from.

I cannot say enough good things about the rifle, the work, and the customer service from Tony.

I now want to sell my SAR-3 and .223 AK-USA conversion so that I can purchase another rifle from Tromix.

Has anybody either ordered or had a chance to see the Tromix R01 conversion built on the .223 frame? From the Tromix site, it has: basic Tromix conversion plus, HK sights, ventilated hand-guard, 14.5" barrel, and permanently mounted phantom flash hider.

The only thing I'm not too sure about is the cutting down of the barrel to 14.5" - what do you gain by doing this - is it just a more convenient size for smaller spaces?

That's mostly it. You get a lot better performance, from just about any .223 or 5.56 ammo, out of a 16" or 20" barrel. The miltary picked 14.5" for the M4 carbine, not based on ballistic performance, but because the standard US M16 bayonet would fit with a barrel that length. If you don't need a bayonet, I would recommend a 16" barrel (minimum).

FYI, and FWIW (and by the way, I've never heard anything but good reports about Tony & Tromix ;>)...