Saiga Side Folding Buttstock installation.

How I installed the Saiga Folding Buttstock on my 7.62.

I put one on my 7.62 Saiga and had some difficulty, but nothing that you need more than a set of good "gunsmith" screwdrivers and a can of WD0-40 to fix.

I ordered the folding stock and then thought I would go ahead and take the regular stock off to be ready for the new one. Let me tell you, they must put those screws into the regular polymer stock with Loc-Tite. There are THREE screws holding it on the 7.62 rifle.

I had 2 screws that came out without too much trouble. Don't forget about the one under the back of the recoil spring. The last one (the one on bottom) was a bear to get loose.

Finally

-1) I added some WD-40 around the screw head with the rifle turned upside down and let it set for about 15 minutes. Rather than soak the stock in WD-40, I sprayed some in a small tin can (outdoors) and then used a Q-tip to put it around the screwhead.

2) I took a piece of that rubber like webbing (that you put under a rug on a wood floor) and wrapped it around the handle of my screwdriver. They also sell the same stuff in the grocery. It is used to take stubborn caps off of jars.

3) I picked the screweriver tip that best fit the screw (and make sure you are using "gunsmith" screwdrivers that have a flat ground tip, instead of tapered). If you don't use the right screwdrivers you will mess up every screw you touch on your firearm.

4) I got the rifle wedged with my right arm and bearing down on the screw and I gave it every bit of torque I had, and it finally came loose. I took it out and thought the stock would just slip out. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Move the stock up and down ever so slightly to back it out of the tangs. If you move it right to left and back you will mess up the tangs or crush the wood if the stock is wood. Okay now you have the stock off.

6.) Slip the new folding stock in and tighten the screws. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moving ever so carefully begin to slide the folding stock into the tangs. At first I didn't think it would go because it began to shave some polymer off of the edges. Then it started on.

7) Once it started into the receiver (with the folding stock fully open) I began to tap the end of the stock to drive it into the receiver. To do this I just held the rifle vertical to the countertop and let gravity do the work by dropping it a few times. Don't get abusive with it, just let it drop a couple of inches a few times and it drove the stock right into the receiver.

8) I only had one screw hole that was available on top, so I put the screw in, and tightened it. Some Loc-tite might be in order, but I figure to keep and eye on it at the range to make sure the screw doesn't loosen. If it does I will add some mild Loc-tite.

9) I was finished and it only took about 45 minutes.

10) I looked at it with the stock extended and for the first time since I had bought it, it looked like an AK47 for sure.

Then I folded it and thought it looked nothing like a sporter carbine: it had evolved into an AK- under-folder.

louielouie

That last line should have read "it had evolved into an AK- side folder"

If anyone has any questions please email me at nehrt@iquest.net.

I will put some photos with this topic as soon as my digital camera comes "home".

louielouie