Cheap Press Plates

That looks ingenious enough! It apparently did the job well. Would you mind explaining the rig to a dense person like me? :huh:

The channel iron was secured face to face and a 5/8? hole was drilled perpendicular to the long axis through both. The resulting jig was secured around the barrel under the gas block and then to the press base. The barrel was then pressed down thru the GB.

.jpg

A buddy milled out the inside of my Bulgy handguard retainer for me and I finished it to size w/ a Dremel. After the GB was off, I assembled the retainer and handguard to eyeball where everything should be. After marking center and width w/ a silver Sharpy, I started the slot w/ a triangle file and progressed up to a chainsaw sharpening file to finish it. nice and tight fit.

-6.jpg

Twice ( I forgot the handguard retainer the first time) I had to WECSOG extend the press base low enough to take the length of the whole rifle. Then I supported the receiver on the press base w/ a 3/8 x 6" bolt under the rear sight base and a plate bolted crossways to the handguard retaining screw hole. I put the jig on top of the gas block and used a piece of 3/4 EMT to press the jig down around the barrel, thus pushing the gasblock down into place.

-7.jpg

Used the same basic method to reinstall the front sight, twice, except I had to start it enough for the jig to have enough shoulder to sit on.

Any clearer? :up:

• 1 month later...