Gas Piston Problem.....

Hey gang,

I took my newest S12 out for some slug shooting today, and brought it back to clean. When I removed the gas piston, I noticed the top part of the piston was a little loose at the base where the threads are. I'm assuming this didn't mess up the action of the rifle, because it fired all of the slugs I had with no problems. I'm just wondering if this is something I should worry about long term, and if there's a way for me to tighten it up nice and tight like the piston in my other S12 is......thanks.

I had mine welded in place when it got bad enough to cause jamming with really light loads. this was after 10,000 rounds, and way after I noticed the piston had slop in it, unlike the SAR1 that I have and shoot about as much, that has NO piston slop. I have to give the gun credit though, I didnt clean it for about two years INTENTIONALLY. when I wear it out, ill sell it to someone I know to fix up and keep, and get another. I still have only shot all my other shotguns combined like twice since Ive owned my saiga12....and its the onyl gun that is loaded right now, as Im typing this.

the guy I had do it is an older generation metallurgist/prototyping machinist I have known half my life. it was NOT as simple as welding chrome to forged/hardened steel, as I thought it would be. further, the metal was tempered to be nearly the same hardness after the parts were welded and superheated. I wanna say he changed his welding wire to zinc, but I cannot for the live of me remember the name of the allow he used. Ill try to remember to ask him when I good look at his basement I redid for him. he had a pond in the basement, and now he has a living space.

I thought about, then tried sweating in some pipe solder, but that didnt work. not sure why I couldnt sweat the solder into the threads. may have been the metal content change from the op rod to the bolt carrier. went to an expert for free, instead.